Blue Moon Clone

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

ChiknNutz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What yeast to most of you use, or is that too general of a question? Also, may I assume it is a standard 60 minute mash and boil? When I attempt this, I plan to go BIAB.

rtstrider

Reaction score
What yeast to most of you use, or is that too general of a question? Also, may I assume it is a standard 60 minute mash and boil? When I attempt this, I plan to go BIAB.
Honestly I use 3944 fermented at 69F for the first 3 days or so then bump it up to 72F till it's done. US-05 is extremely bland and doesn't play well with a wit. I've tried US-05, Lallemand Belle Saison (VERY tart/dry), WB-06 (tart/dry crummy yeast all the way around imo), and Wyeast 3944. 3944 is where the buck stopped because that yeast was where it is at. As far as pitching goes I'll get a 1.5 liter 1.040 starter going on the stir plate, save 500ml for another batch and pitch the liter of yeast. That has darn fine esters! Other modifications I've made are I do a 20 min dough in at 122F (yes even when I was BIAB) then raise the temp up to 154F for 60 min or so. If you can sneak in some chamomile (use a full box of Bigelow Chamomile tea) at flameout even better! That makes a nice tasty wit :)

P.S. I got to taste test a flight of the White Lab wheat strains at the Asheville, NC location a few years ago. They were way too subdued and left a good bit to be desired. YMMV

Wayne1

Reaction score
Any chance you can tell us which spice shop? I'm in Centennial and think I want to do this next.
The company was Italco, a wholesaler to the restaurant trade. Keep in mind the time I described was 25 years ago. I have no idea if the company is still around or what stock they carry now.

As was suggested in an earlier post, I believe the distinctive flavor of Blue Moon owes more to the coriander than the orange peel.

US-05 is extremely bland and doesn't play well with a wit.
Blue Moon is NOT a witbier. It is what I call an American Style WHITE Ale. It was specifically designed NOT to have that distinctive, spicy, estery, yeast character. If you want to make Blue Moon, you will NOT use anything other than a CLEAN yeast, such as US-05.

balrog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
THe spicy pheonlic "clove" yeast is typical with a Witbier.
I personally do not like that phenolic at all.
I use WY1007 fermented at 60F
I have tried using Mighty Axe Julius hops to accentuate orange, with mixed results.
I am intrigued at the thought of the Voss Kveik orangey esters but have not tried it yet.

ChiknNutz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The company was Italco, a wholesaler to the restaurant trade. Keep in mind the time I described was 25 years ago. I have no idea if the company is still around or what stock they carry now.

As was suggested in an earlier post, I believe the distinctive flavor of Blue Moon owes more to the coriander than the orange peel.

Blue Moon is NOT a witbier. It is what I call an American Style WHITE Ale. It was specifically designed NOT to have that distinctive, spicy, estery, yeast character. If you want to make Blue Moon, you will NOT use anything other than a CLEAN yeast, such as US-05.
I am about to embark on a batch and back in your oft-quoted post #429 you suggest using SafAle S-04 or [LalBrew] Windsor as opposed to US-05 or Wyeast 1056 as the latter two might be too dry. Do you still recommend S-04 or Windsor?

Wayne1

Reaction score
If you want to get some fruity esters and a bit of sweetness, go for Windsor or S-04. If you want dry and clean, US-05.

Wayne1

Reaction score
That looks just like the recipe I posted on here, many years ago. The addition of the Munich will give a bit of body and small amount of color.

ChiknNutz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have any of the Hallertau Mittelfruh hops, are there other good alternatives?

Here's what I have on hand:

Hops - Amarillo
Hops - Cascade
Hops - Citra
Hops - Galaxy
Hops - Hallertau Blanc
Hops - Mosaic
Hops - Magnum
Hops - Warrior

Wayne1

Reaction score
You have a great selection for IPAs :D

For Blue Moon, I would suggest using the Cascade or Hallertau Blanc.

Good Luck.

Wayne1

Reaction score
If you are looking to make a faithful recreation of Blue Moon Belgium White, then you should minimize hop flavor. You only want a small amount of hop bitterness to balance the sweetness of the malts. Let the spices be the major flavor element.

hamachi

Reaction score
Wayne1, I want to offer my personal thanks for your 13 year(!) contribution to this thread. Your advice has been very helpful to a guy who only started homebrewing last August. Using the info you provided back on page 1, I have already made one Blue Moon clone which was popular with the wife and neighbors.

I will be attempting another this weekend. My wife loves Blue Moon but wants something lighter, so I'll be reducing the OG a bit. I'll be doing a split batch and throwing blueberries into one of the fermenters after a few days to create a "Blueberry Moon". (I've had one successful blueberry wit already, so I'm optimistic.)

bricks

Reaction score
I just finished reading all 1,374 posts in this thread! Wow, what a lot of great information. Big thanks to Wayne1, Nilo, and a few others who have put forth such a wealth of knowledge and experience. I have been out of home brewing a few years, and am looking to get back into it. Did mostly extract with steeping grains, but I did do a couple of all grain batches. They didn't turn out all that great, and I blame that on using tap water without any kind of addition of anything. I feel like I might try Wayne1's first recipe or Nilo #12, as I really do like Blue Moon. If I decide to go ahead and give it a go, will keep posted on status!

Jhedrick83

Reaction score
Wayne1, I want to offer my personal thanks for your 13 year(!) contribution to this thread. Your advice has been very helpful to a guy who only started homebrewing last August. Using the info you provided back on page 1, I have already made one Blue Moon clone which was popular with the wife and neighbors.

I will be attempting another this weekend. My wife loves Blue Moon but wants something lighter, so I'll be reducing the OG a bit. I'll be doing a split batch and throwing blueberries into one of the fermenters after a few days to create a "Blueberry Moon". (I've had one successful blueberry wit already, so I'm optimistic.)
I second that. Just brewed my first attempt at this recipe last night. Can’t wait to try it and neither can my wife.