Blue moon clone missing ingredients..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inzane

Reaction score
Bought a blue moon clone extract kit at a local place.. Just steepes the grains and realised they left out 1 lb of dme. I have 1lb of the 2.... Called the place they said i can pick up the other 1lb and add it at a later time. Any suggestions on how to go about this? Just now starting the 60 min. Boil. Ugh. Thanks.

I'd finish the boil then add the extra pound during fermentation.

Interesting concept. Wouldn’t you have to stir it in real good possibly introducing oxygen

i did try to send the wife out for it. she almost went.. lol. What i did was this... i picked up the 1lb of DME today, boiled it in about a quart or so of water for 10 minutes or so. (had my first boilover in the house in the process..lol) it was all good tho... i cooled it and dumped it into the fermenter today, which was already bubbling pretty good.

Lager yeast is what was in this kit. never heard of that in a blue moon type beer. well, i'll know in a month if i have good beer or not.. lol. not to worried about it now.

I guess i'll stick to my favorite online beer supply place in the future. this local place left out ingredients, muslin bag.. possibly the wrong kinda yeast.. i found that 1 gallon paint strainer bag worked just as good.

Sounds like if you buy a kit from there again, make sure to check that everything is in there before you leave the store.

As well as checking while you prep before starting your brew day

i did try to send the wife out for it. she almost went.. lol. What i did was this... i picked up the 1lb of DME today, boiled it in about a quart or so of water for 10 minutes or so. (had my first boilover in the house in the process..lol) it was all good tho... i cooled it and dumped it into the fermenter today, which was already bubbling pretty good.

Lager yeast is what was in this kit. never heard of that in a blue moon type beer. well, i'll know in a month if i have good beer or not.. lol. not to worried about it now.

I guess i'll stick to my favorite online beer supply place in the future. this local place left out ingredients, muslin bag.. possibly the wrong kinda yeast.. i found that 1 gallon paint strainer bag worked just as good.

Sounds like you did fine. Improvisation is an important skill for any brewer!

Just inform the local place. Hopefully it was a one-off. If not, maybe they make a better checklist. I've had online places leave stuff out too.

Latest posts

Back