Blu Ray Player for Computer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fritobandito

Reaction score
Could anyone recommend me a blu ray player for my pc? I'm very ignorant when it comes to blu ray. It looks like I need the player as well as software that can actually play the movie. A few of the players I have seen do not come with any software, so I would just have to buy it separate.

I may be wrong, but getting into blue ray on a pc is more complicated than just the player and the software. I believe you'll also need to upgrade the sound card and the video card. I'm not 100% positive about that, but pretty sure.

Is there a reason you have to have it on the pc?

I've been happy with this blu-ray burner... I've not played/watched any BD movies on it yet, but it did come with the Cyberlink software disc, for those that need it.

motleybrews; IF you have a good system already, then all those 'upgrade' items are not needed. I have a GeForce 8800GTX video card (a few years old, at least), Creative SB X-Fi sound card (also more than a few years old) and have zero issues. Chances are, if the computer is not that old, it won't have any issues accepting a blu-ray drive. Of course, if you're looking to install it into a 7+ year old system, you might as well forget about it. Of course, I'm also spoiled by the two Intel Xeon E5345 processors inside my tower, with 16GB of RAM to run my apps... :D

Forgot to actually answer the question....in my experience, it's all the same technology, so if you've seen one, you've seen them all. Sure, some of the stand alone models have added functionality like built in wifi and other bells and whistles, the technology is pretty standardized. I'd go with whatever brand you prefer. Don't skimp and get the cheapest, as it will most likely have inferior components, but other than that, go with whatever you are comfortable with

I may be wrong, but getting into blue ray on a pc is more complicated than just the player and the software. I believe you'll also need to upgrade the sound card and the video card. I'm not 100% positive about that, but pretty sure.

Is there a reason you have to have it on the pc?

Agreed to a point. Any computer made in the last 2 years should be able to play blu-ray though. Any computer older than that should be retired anyway.

Agreed to a point. Any computer made in the last 2 years should be able to play blu-ray though. Any computer older than that should be retired anyway.

I don't agree that anything older than 2 should be retired. Mine is over 4 years old and still does everything I ask of it. That includes some pretty heavy Photoshop work, plus feeding a pair of 24" LCD's and more. Maybe it's due to the very powerful processors (upgraded about 1-1/2 years ago by me), plenty of RAM, enough storage, upgraded video card and sound card, and generally well taken care of system. I'm running Windows 7 Pro on it too (x64 of course). I can easily run VMware Workstation 8 on it, with a few VM's running and still do everything else I want to.

Of course, there are CHEAP systems that people buy that barely last a year before they can't run any new software, and cannot properly interface with newer hardware. Buy cheap and you get cheap. Buy something solid, and you have something that will last several years.

I fully expect my workstation to last at least another 2-4 years before I want to replace it with something newer.

Also agreed, but if the OP is asking about blu-ray players I would assume he does not have a custom built or powerful quad-core-plus PC and therefore the 2-year rule likely applies.

I built a media center pc for my living room and windows 7 does not just automatically play blu rays. Some blu ray drives come with software but its usually a limited version. When I built mine the best options were powerdvd and total media theater. I went with TMT on my system. Maybe drives now come with better software than when i was buying which was almost 2 years ago

A 4 year old power built unit will kill a 2 year old consumer grade Best Buy purchase but that's really the only exception. I can go maybe 3-4 years on all my custom built machines but even then, I get anxious for the next best thing.

i was pleasantly surprised by how little it takes to stream media. My htpc is a core i5, onboard audio and video. I can record 4 channels of HD while streaming other content. HD audio bitstreaming on the fly. I get true dolby HD already decoded for receiver. The only time i see stutter is when I am hitting the newsgroups hard and sannzbd is unzipping more than 1 file at a time.

Also agreed, but if the OP is asking about blu-ray players I would assume he does not have a custom built or powerful quad-core-plus PC and therefore the 2-year rule likely applies.

Actually I do have a pretty powerful computer I built myself. I've got a gtx 580, 4 ghz quad core, and a 24 inch monitor that can run 1920x1080. I would much rather watch movies on my computer, so getting one for my computer is what I'm going to do. I just wasn't sure about the software. Some players come with it and some don't.

Fritobandito said:
Actually I do have a pretty powerful computer I built myself. I've got a gtx 580, 4 ghz quad core, and a 24 inch monitor that can run 1920x1080. I would much rather watch movies on my computer, so getting one for my computer is what I'm going to do. I just wasn't sure about the software. Some players come with it and some don't.

Yea man, wasn't trying to steer you away from doing it, just wanted you to be prepared should the player and software not be all you need. Sounds like it will be though.

Yea man, wasn't trying to steer you away from doing it, just wanted you to be prepared should the player and software not be all you need. Sounds like it will be though.

Thanks for the help. I'm probably going to end up getting the one Golddiggie linked.

Back