Blowoff tube emptying into water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eadavis80

Reaction score
It's too late now, but when I did a blowoff tube two brews ago (which has now been sitting in secondary for two weeks) the blowoff tube emptied into a sanitized jar of water ONLY - not a sanitizer solution. Is that going to be a problem? I boiled the jar for 15 minutes before filling it with previously boiled and then cooled water, but it had no StarSan or Iodophor in it. Just curious.

I mean if it hasn't proven to be a problem, then it isn't a problem. Is it the best practice? no, but that doesn't mean you're guaranteed an infection. Using something other than water is just taking out a microbial insurance policy.

It sounds like you took the proper steps to avoid and infection. You'll want to add sanitizer if you have it, but you should be fine.

fwiw, I never put sanitizer in my catch vessel, I just dunk the tubes in my Star San bucket and put them in place. And as best as anyone can tell, I've never had an infected batch.

What kind of beastie could ascend four feet of tubing, anyway?

Cheers!

ab_aug_02_2014_12.jpg

I think it's more to prevent things from growing in the water and then getting in the beer due to suck-back from cold crashing. Plus it's just good practice to keep everything sanitary.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You are fine provided you dont get "suck-back". Just switch to an airlock once the kraussen falls. At a minimum, be sure not to cold crash with the blowoff hooked up! Thats when you will get suck-back!

Just switch to an airlock once the kraussen falls.

Worth noting that if you're using an airlock for cold crashing, the s-type airlocks are a lot better for the change in pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think it's more to prevent things from growing in the water and then getting in the beer due to suck-back from cold crashing. Plus it's just good practice to keep everything sanitary.

Lol! If you leave a blow off tube in place while cold crashing that's a whole 'nuther issue ;)

Cheers!

fwiw, I never put sanitizer in my catch vessel, I just dunk the tubes in my Star San bucket and put them in place. And as best as anyone can tell, I've never had an infected batch.

Cheers!

:what: I put sanitizer in my catch vessels... starsan. Is it not starsan in your starsan bucket?

Back