Blowoff tube water evaporation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tverna

Reaction score
Just realized the water for the blowoff tube had evaporated. In secondary now and might have been few days like this. Is the beer ruined?

It's probably not really "ruined." But if fermentation was finished, i.e. CO2 was no longer being produced, you would have picked up some O2, which will shorten your beer's shelf life.

I notice you say 'water'... most of us use a sanitizer like Star San or Iodophor or even vodka. Apart from O2, the big risk is microbes, hence keeping a sanitizer in the jar. As long as there is still some positive flow of CO2 coming out it's unlikely anything unwanted would have gone up the line.
:mug:

Thanks for the information. Correction on the water. I had sanitizer in there. Raspberry wheat in the secondary for 2 weeks now so definitely completed on the fermentation. Not sure how many days the blowoff tube has been sitting in an empty glass. so I’ll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. Thanks

Lot of headspace in your FV? Does it go through large temperature swings? Maybe the water was sucked into the FV?

Lot of headspace in your FV? Does it go through large temperature swings? Maybe the water was sucked into the FV?
It’s a Brewtech fermenter that is temp controlled. First time this has happened to me. How would the suction be created ?

Back