blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpsterboy

Reaction score
Is it ok to just leave the blowoff tube on for the entire 7 days during primary fermentation? or should I put an airlock on it. I'm on day 4 in primary and obviously fermentation has drastically slowed. I will probably transfer it to secondary for dry hopping in a few days, but figured i'd just leave blowoff tube on and then airlock in secondary.-- just amking sure there is no risk of contamination or something i am unaware of. Thanks

I do, normally just because I want to clean up the blow-off mess of the water, but you can do it anyway you like.

I usually switch for the same cleanup reason, just be sure you sanitize the airlock before you insert it. Also, don't know what you are brewing or require dry hopping but most people here recommend you keep it in the primary for at least 3 weeks :) there are a million thread regarding this

You can do it either way. I usually just leave it in for the duration of the fermantation because I am lazy and don't feel like sanitizing an additional piece of equipment.

I usually just leave it on for the total time. If I get some blow off I clean it off and put on an airlock. A bow off tube is just another airlock.

Blow off entire fermentation or until I brew something for my second fermenter.

Back