Blow off tube water...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_ROOSTER_

Reaction score
Hey gang... brewed up an extract IPA a couple of weeks ago and installed a blowoff tube, as I always get a very vigorous fermentation and didn't want to blow the airlock off my carboy...

Anyway... long story short. Bottled the beer last night and am starting to clean up today. I never installed an air lock and just rolled with the blow off tube, since the krausen never made it to the top of the carboy. I initially put iodophore in the water and figured it should be good to go. Apparently didn't keep a close eye on it after that, assuming that would be sufficient to keep it pretty sterile.

Well... grabbed the pot that had the water in it and noticed it's got some sort of clear, sludgy stuff on the bottom and a couple of very, very small bits of what look to maybe be algae.

I tasted the gravity sample and it didn't really taste bad. Pretty strong and a little dry, as it was an OG 1.67 that finished at 1.012. Hoping that improves as it conditions in the bottles..

What do you think the chances are that any "bad bugs" made it into the batch? I'm a little worried I might have a whole batch of bottle bombs or mega gushers just fermenting away at this point.

I highly doubt it infected our beer. The krausen might not have made its way to the water at the end of the blowoff but the gases did and thats probably enough to effect the water.

Probably fine. No idea whats in your water in the blowoff pot but nothing in there should be back contaminating your beer.

Thanks for the feedback! That was my inclination, but figured I'd get a second opinion.

Bacteria are really poor birds. The can't fly up. Unless you sucked back some of the water from your blowoff you didn't infect your beer. Since you had idophore in the blowoff the chances of bacteria being able to survive in the blowoff are pretty low. Even if you didn't see that krausen got into the blowoff, I think that is what happened which would show up as sludge in the bottom.

Latest posts

Back