Blow off tube or air lock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frozennorth

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am brewing a double IPA today and am thinking that a blow off tube would serve my purposes better than an air lock. The idea is to not have the air lock blow off and make a mess. Is this necessary? My target OG is 1.09 and target FG 1.01.

I generally use a blow off for all beers during primary. If I need to transfer to secondary I then use an airlock. Why not be safe than have to clean up a major mess.

What's the size of your fermentation vessel and how much are you putting in it? With enough head space no blow off is required.

I often install a 3 piece airlock with some 5/8" or 3/4" tubing slipped over the center post as a blow off during initial fermentation. Then once it slows down, I pull off the tubing, fill the airlock and assemble it properly. Best of both worlds

This can clog, though. So if you have lots of loose hops gunk floating around you might want a large blow off

Depends on what your fermenting in but i usually use a blow off the first few days of fermentation then switch to an air lock when it slows down. I ferment in a 6 gallon plastic carboy with 5 gallons of wort in there so not that much head space.

5 gal batch going into a 6 1/2 gallon carboy. My last batch blew the lock, which is the reason for my concern. Yes, most likely I will be using a lock for the secondary.

I in with the majority on this: blow-off for the first 48-72 hours of fermentation, and then swap out with a standard air lock. However, the blow-off does NOT need to be removed! In fact, I've got a Kölsch going that's had a blow-off from the get-go...and that was eleven days ago!

glenn514:mug:

Like a lot of others, I always start off with a blowoff now. No reason not to, and it's better to be safe than sorry!
Some of my beers don't even come close to needing one, whereas others make me very happy that I bothered with it... I'd rather go through the few seconds of extra trouble of putting one on, than all the time it would take for me to clean up if I didn't use one.

I brew in 5.25 gallon batches in 6 gallon Better Bottles. I have a fermentation chamber and cool to the low end of the yeast's range in most cases. I ALWAYS use blow off tubes set up. I most often just leave it there until the end.

I estimate that about 50% need the blow off due to the smaller headspace.

If in doubt, a blow off assembly could prevent the need to wash your ceiling!!!

People who ferment 5 gallons of beer in an 8 gallon bucket will tell you, you don't need a blow off. People who ferment 5 gallons of beer in a 6 gallon bucket will tell you, you need one.

Which type of person are you?

After one big mess, I always primary with a blow off tube now. As for the new question... if it is not blocked you should be good to go.

Once had 6 gallons in a 6 gallon better bottle fermenting away. This thing oozed for nearly a week but the tube never clogged.

Much appreciated. Before we bought the house, I blew an airlock in the towel closet, all over the towels, other assorted bathroom supplies, walls, and ceiling, in our apartment. I love my wife, not even one raised octave. You all are amazing, thank you!!

I ferment 5 gallon batches in 6.5 gallon carboy or 3.75 gallon batches in a 5 gallon carboy. In the vast majority of my fermentations the kraeusen only reaches up 2-3 inches, far short of the rim. I only install a blow-off tube if I think it's at all likely to overflow, which is still a majority of the time since it can strike somewhat unexpectedly.

A blow off tube was more than called for, thank you. Bubble, bubble, bubble... ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402982869.545191.jpg

I've found a blow-off tube setup to be mandatory equipment to have always. I make a habit out of setting up the blow-off system as part of my primary fermentation ritual.

Does it solve all problems? A: Most of the time. However, I recently had a lid blow open with a blow-off in place. I can only imagine how much worse my minor clean up would have been if I simply had an airlock in place instead.

If you haven't already, get a blow-off tube and use it. If you don't, the misses may not be nearly as friendly toward your home brewing adventures. And just as important as that, save yourself the trouble of cleaning wort, yeast, and trub off the ceiling. It isn't fun.

Do you guys swap out the blowoff tubes for airlocks after active fermentation ends, or just leave them on until bottling? I've just left my last two on out of sheer laziness.

Once the krausen falls to the point where the blow-off isn't needed to prevent a spillover, I replace it with a regular airlock. I've found that after a couple of days the fermentation calms down enough where you can remove the blow-off. This goes for just about any fermentation whether it's a Belgium dubble, Triple IPA, or Barleywine. High gravity beers tend to need the blow-off more than low gravity beers. Different yeast strains are more vigorous than others as well. When in doubt, use the blow-off. Better safe than sorry.

I do a lot of high gravity beers. And like I said, the blow-off setup is a mandatory part of my fermentation process. I always set it up. Once I see things calm down, usually after about 3-4 days, I replace my blow-off with a regular airlock. After that it's simply business as usual.

For the last couple of 5 gal batches, I added two drops of Fermcap S per gallon to the primary before pouring in the wort and applying O2. This was in a 6.5 gal Big Mouth Bubbler and did not need a blow off hose. One of those batches was a Heffeweisen and they are notorious for blowing off. The Fermcap didn't seem to affect the taste or head retention at all.:rockin:

The best blow offset up I've ever done is as follows,buy some 1/2 inch syphon hose from you LHBS, and if if you don't have one already, a 3 piece air lock. Put the airlock in like you. Would normally, except don't put the plastic lid on, or the vent piece, instead, attach the 1/2 inch hose to the opening on the airlock, that way, if fermentation is vigourous, the blow off works, or it's slow, you can pull the tube off, and your airlock is already there, 2 birds 1 stone

Isn't a blowoff tube just an exaggerated airlock anyways?

I mean you have a sealed tube going into a gallon jug of whatever liquid, no air is getting in there.

I have only brewed once but I think I will always use this blow off set up for primary and then use a regular airlock for secondary.

Am I missing something ? What is the downside to a blow off tube ?

Latest posts

Back