Blow-off Tube Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin P.

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I brewed an APA about a week ago, and have had the end of the blow-off tube submerged in sanitized water the whole time. This morning, I went in to add some dry hops, and noticed that the tube fell out of the water. I looked at everything yesterday, and all was well, so I know the brew was exposed for less than 24 hours. I've read other threads where this happened during vigorous fermentation, and everyone said not to worry. However, the bubbling stopped at least a few days ago, so I'm concerned there wasn't enough CO2 being produced to keep the O2 out. Thoughts? Thank you!!

When you placed the tube back in the water, did it start to bubble again? If so, then you more than likely had enough positive pressure to keep the o2 out. I would not be too worried, it has happened to many of us before.

Been there, done that. Now I use a half gallon milk jug with sanitizer and tape my tube to the top opening so it can't go anywhere.

There isn't much you can do now and you were going to expose the beer to oxygen anyway with your dry hopping. I wouldn't change anything. I have tried to dry hop now when there is still some active fermentation time left hoping the oxygen I introduce will be converted.

When you placed the tube back in the water, did it start to bubble again?

No, it didn't bubble after I put it back in. I used S-04 and it went crazy for a few days, but the bubbling had stopped at least a few days ago.

Now I use a half gallon milk jug with sanitizer and tape my tube to the top opening so it can't go anywhere.

I've always used a 22oz bomber and haven't had any issues. I'm wondering if one of my kids went down there yesterday and pulled it out. Nonetheless, I'm going to proceed as if it didn't happen, but I'd hate to have the entire batch go bad.

No, it didn't bubble after I put it back in. I used S-04 and it went crazy for a few days, but the bubbling had stopped at least a few days ago.
Once fermentation slows down, less bubbling in your jar, you should replace the blow-off with an airlock.

Regulating your fermentation temps toward the lower side of your yeast's range helps prevent blow off. It also makes better beer. Faster is usually not better here.

Once fermentation slows down, less bubbling in your jar, you should replace the blow-off with an airlock.

Yes, I'm definitely going to do this going forward--lesson learned. Also, I had the fermentation in the low/mid 60s the whole time, so I'm not concerned about that. I'm just concerned about this current batch.

If you had a way to take a specific gravity measurement you could see if it was done yet. Depends on your setup as far as preventing further possible introduction of oxygen.

Good excuse to drink it faster and brew again!

I prefer to use metal blow off tubes myself. They don't curve around so much and stay fixed. I also switch to an airlock after activity slows down as IslandLizard suggests.

Sometimes you get a little bit of a clog and this will cause the tube to pop out. Look for krausen in the tube near the top. Or you had a bit of a trap with the curve of the tubing.

Depending on the age of the child, a bubbling tube in water is a great new toy for a few minutes. When I started brewing again, my kids were much older but I did tell them specifically DON'T TOUCH THE AIRLOCK OR THE BLOWOFF TUBE!

my kids were much older but I did tell them specifically DON'T TOUCH THE AIRLOCK OR THE BLOWOFF TUBE!
That doesn't work so well with the little ones. We even stare in amazement at those bubbles, for hours.

There was a guy who found a handful of gummy bears on the bottom of his fermenter...

Back