Blow off tube issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkstashcrashes

Reaction score
Ok i just started an IPA today, and i have a few questions.

I did not wash the yeast. I put the yeast straight into the primary at about 65-70 degrees. Is that ok?

This was done at 8:30pm

i got home at 3:00am

The blow off tube was out of the top of the primary.

Will this ruin the chance of any krausen?

im using a 6.5 carboy

Ok i just started an IPA today, and i have a few questions.

I did not wash the yeast. I put the yeast straight into the primary at about 65-70 degrees. Is that ok?

This was done at 8:30pm

i got home at 3:00am

im using a 6.5 carboy

Did you reuse yeast from a previous batch?

As far as your blow off falling out you should be ok.

I put the yeast straight into the primary at about 65-70 degrees. Is that ok?

Was it a dry yeast or liquid? You should be ok, especially if it was a dry yeast.

im using a 6.5 carboy

How is your blow-off tube set up? Your beer should be fine, just sanitize the tube and stick it back in.

FYI: this is n00b advice

well i am a noob

yes it was dry yeast

carboy with a tube out of the top into a glass jar filled with clorox

Edit: i just sanatized it should be ok

thank you

What do you mean you didn't "wash the yeast"? I'm not sure what you're saying there.

I'd remove the glass jar filled with chlorox and use plain water, or water with just a drop of chlorox. You'd hate to have a big temperature change, or a weather front come in and suck the contents of the jar back into the fermenter, if it's Chlorox.

You may not need a blow off tube but it's good to have one if you do. I use a bigger fermenter (7.5 gallon bucket), so I only needed a blow off tube once. I usually just use an airlock.

well the packet of dry yeast said to suspend it in warm water for a few minutes. I did not do that.

I will dump the glass jar contents.

Can i jump start this yeast anyway?

It is not REQUIRED to rehydrate the yeast. You will get several opinions on either side of that coin though. I personally have never rehydrated dry yeast and never have an issue.

Not sure what you mean by jump start. Your yeast is already in the wort, time to let it do it's thing.

well the packet of dry yeast said to suspend it in warm water for a few minutes. I did not do that.

I will dump the glass jar contents.

Can i jump start this yeast anyway?

You are absolutely fine. You didn't rehydrate your yeast. Many people don't. Yeast washing is a more advanced technique for re-using yeast from a previous batch. That's why some folks here were confused when you said you hadn't washed your yeast. Now we know what you meant.

There is no need to jump start your yeast. It will start on its own in due time. Actual fermentation can take a day or two to start. In the meantime the yeast is reproducing and adapting to its environment. All of this is perfectly normal.

And, yeah, a whole blowoff vessel full of bleach is overkill -- and a potential problem if it gets sucked back into your fermenter, as Yooper said. The usual dilution rate is about a tablespoon of bleach per gallon of water. That will keep out the nasties without endangering your beer.

The important thing right now is keeping your fermentation temperatures under control. Most ales should ferment around 70° or below for a clean flavor. If you have a spare bathtub or a large enough Rubbermaid or other container, put the fermenter in it and fill the container about 3/4 full with cool water. In the meantime freeze three or four bottled water bottles or zip-top bags full of water. The water in the tub or container will act as a heat brake, keeping your fermenter temperatures (which will actually be 5-8° higher than the ambient temperature) stable and cool. Add a water bottle or two and change them out in the morning and evening. Depending on how warm the house is, that will keep your fermenter between 62° and 68° without too much trouble.

Don't worry overmuch about airlock/blowoff activity. Most likely you'll see some, maybe a lot. You might not see any, especially if your fermenter isn't sealed well. It's more important to let your beer ferment fully and check the gravity after 10 days or so. If you received instructions with your kit or got a recipe off the Internet that says to move the beer to a secondary after a week to get it off the yeast, ignore that. Your beer will be significantly better if you let it go 10 days to two weeks in the primary. Even longer is absolutely fine and will lead to clearer beer.

Relax. You are doing fine.

Chad

Personally I wouldn't use bleach at all for a blow-off container, just save some sanitizer solution you used for the carboy. that way if you do get suck back you wont poison yourself

I was talking about me btw.... ;)

Maybe "FYI: This is advice from a n00b" would have been more clear.

Anyway, welcome and good luck! :mug:

haha upon second reading i see that now :cross:

Dano thank you, i will keep that in mind for next batch. I'm afraid i did a little to much tampering with this batch, so im just going to chill and see how it comes out.

Latest posts

Back