Fruit Beer Blood Orange Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started brewing this earlier today and realized that I only had 0.5lb of Vienna...Decided to cut everything in half and brew a 2.5gal batch for now. Hopefully cutting all the ingredients in half was the right move. Also used Centennial instead of Cascade since that's what I had on hand.

opened my office today where I ferment my beers and felt like i got dutch-ovened by SWMBO! I know that it happens and I've had beers turn out well even after the initial fart smells but just wondering if that's normal for this yeast strain. First time using it so I wasn't sure what to expect.
On the bright side, it's bubbling away in the chamber between 66-69F. Nice thick krausen and I'm glad it was a smaller batch so there's plenty of headroom without having to use a blowoff tube (~3gal in a 5gal carboy).

Sulfur smell is gone so that's good, however, in all the excitement I threw in the blood orangeade too fast and forgot to let it come down to fermentation temp. i hope the temperature equalizes quickly in the larger volume in the fermenter and hope that didn't cause the fermentation to stall out. Looks like it's been quiet ever since I pitched the starter into the cold bloodade mix...oops. I'm sure it'll start back up again so it's time to RDWHAHB..again.

I brewed 12 gals of this today using WLP036 as a substitute for the Wyeast 1003 and had intended to use WLP380 for the Wyeast 3333, is that a bad idea? And since I doubled the recipe, I planned on doing a starter for the secondary yeast addition. And last question, for the orange zest, does .5 mean ounces or a 1/2 of one orange zested?

I did 0.5oz of orange Zest and boiled the brown sugar for 60min. Added to after the Mash.
It came out a little more lemony than blood orangey but i have to say it's one of the best one brewed so far and everyone who's tried my beers seem to agree. Not overwhelmingly lemony but a good hint of it. Thanks SD-Slim for an awesome recipe! Planning to start another 5gal batch this weekend.

2 questions
First what can I do to modify to make it a partial mash, I am not setup yet for all grain but dont want to do all extract?

Second would this be Category 20, fruit beer, in the BJCP?

Thanks.

Hello, sorry I thought I had already posted that....in order to brew the extract, the only version that came close to me was the following:
  • 8lbs of Wheat Liquid Extract
  • 1.5lbs of Brown Sugar
  • follow rest of recipe (hop schedule, yeast, orange aid, fermentation)

Quick question, I was using brewers friend and 8lbs of extract seemed alot? I get an OG of 1.058?
I put your original recipe in as well and only came up with a OG of 1.035? I am planning on getting the ingredients this week for a brew this weekend thanks for any clarifications.

Ken

Ken. Can't do the calc now but 11lb of grain is way more than 1.035. I'd check your calc again.

Thanks, rechecked and sure enough I must have entered oz instead of lbs for an ingredient. Thanks again!

Brewed this up today, I used WLP036 in place of the 1007 and gonna use the WLP320 instead of the 3333 will see how it comes out.

So its been about 2 weeks since I added the second yeast and I still have pretty good active ferm. I am getting about a bubble or two every 5-6 seconds. Seems like a lot for the duration so far. I am gonna look at the gravity mid week and see where I am at in terms of gravity. The temp I also noticed has been fluctuating between 64-68 so I will just let it go and see next week. It smells like an orange grove as well coming out of the airlock, so good!!!

Opened one last night. Good stuff thanks slim for the great beer!!

Ive been so busy I haven't had a chance to keg this yet, so its still in the fermenter......hoping the extra time makes it an awesome beer!

2 questions
First what can I do to modify to make it a partial mash, I am not setup yet for all grain but dont want to do all extract?

Hi,
I just tried plugging some numbers into brewers friend and came up with this PM recipe. The original recipe stated that the base volume of this beer was 5 gallons so I made this for a 5 gallon batch...to be topped off with the orangeade. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Blood Orange Hefe

Brew Method: Partial Mash
Style Name: Weizen/Weissbier
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.101
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.018
ABV (standard): 5.54%
IBU (tinseth): 12.61
SRM (morey): 5.6

FERMENTABLES:
3 lb - American - White Wheat (34.2%)
0.5 lb - American - Vienna (5.7%)
0.175 lb - German - Acidulated Malt (2%)
4.25 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Extra Light (48.4%)
0.85 lb - Light Brown Sugar (9.7%)

HOPS:
0.25 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 60 min
0.25 oz - Sorachi Ace, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.1, Use: Boil for 20 min
0.25 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 20 min
0.25 oz - Sorachi Ace, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.1, Use: Boil for 7 min

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 158 F, Time: 45 min, Amount: 4.375 qt

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.5 oz - Orange Zest, Time: 5 min, Type: Other, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Wyeast - German Ale 1007
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: Low
Optimum Temp: 55 - 68 F
Fermentation Temp: 62-66 F
Pitch Rate: 1.0 (M cells / ml / deg P)

Water Notes:
-Distilled or RO water
-Use just over 1/4 tsp of calcium chloride in mash, then add another 3/4 teaspoon at beginning of boil.

NOTES:
***3rd DAY ADDITIONS***
Blood Orangeade:
1 x 1.75 liter of Simply Lemonade mixed with 8 to 9 ounces of Torani Blood Orange Extract, sample to see if you like the flavor before adding....add after 3 to 4 days of vigorous fermentation has ended, also dont forget to add Wyeast 3333 at this time, blow off tube recommended.
-No Secondary, Just ferment completely and bottle.

Brewed this last fall and gave it to some friends over Christmas, everyone really loved it, great beer! Was gonna enter my last couple bottles in a homebrew competition, what category should this be entered in?

Did you use a full packet of both yeasts? Or 1/2? Planning on trying a 2.5 gal batch of this

Started brewing this earlier today and realized that I only had 0.5lb of Vienna...Decided to cut everything in half and brew a 2.5gal batch for now. Hopefully cutting all the ingredients in half was the right move. Also used Centennial instead of Cascade since that's what I had on hand.
Did you use a full packet of both yeasts? Or 1/2? Planning on trying a 2.5 gal batch of this

So I brewed this up two weeks ago and gravity is now at 1.010. For some reason I was thinking I should add the 3333 with the juice AFTER primary was complete instead of 3-4 days after the 1007 got started. Question is, at this point should I just put the juice in for a couple weeks or add both juice and yeast?

Curious if anyone has tried this with dry yeast for either the first or second addition (or both) and how it turned out.

Hi,
I just tried plugging some numbers into brewers friend and came up with this PM recipe. The original recipe stated that the base volume of this beer was 5 gallons so I made this for a 5 gallon batch...to be topped off with the orangeade. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Blood Orange Hefe

Brew Method: Partial Mash
Style Name: Weizen/Weissbier
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.101
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.018
ABV (standard): 5.54%
IBU (tinseth): 12.61
SRM (morey): 5.6

FERMENTABLES:
3 lb - American - White Wheat (34.2%)
0.5 lb - American - Vienna (5.7%)
0.175 lb - German - Acidulated Malt (2%)
4.25 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Extra Light (48.4%)
0.85 lb - Light Brown Sugar (9.7%)

HOPS:
0.25 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 60 min
0.25 oz - Sorachi Ace, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.1, Use: Boil for 20 min
0.25 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 20 min
0.25 oz - Sorachi Ace, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.1, Use: Boil for 7 min

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 158 F, Time: 45 min, Amount: 4.375 qt

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.5 oz - Orange Zest, Time: 5 min, Type: Other, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Wyeast - German Ale 1007
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: Low
Optimum Temp: 55 - 68 F
Fermentation Temp: 62-66 F
Pitch Rate: 1.0 (M cells / ml / deg P)

Water Notes:
-Distilled or RO water
-Use just over 1/4 tsp of calcium chloride in mash, then add another 3/4 teaspoon at beginning of boil.

NOTES:
***3rd DAY ADDITIONS***
Blood Orangeade:
1 x 1.75 liter of Simply Lemonade mixed with 8 to 9 ounces of Torani Blood Orange Extract, sample to see if you like the flavor before adding....add after 3 to 4 days of vigorous fermentation has ended, also dont forget to add Wyeast 3333 at this time, blow off tube recommended.
-No Secondary, Just ferment completely and bottle.

Curious why the calcium chloride?

All Grain

6.00lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
4lbs White Wheat Malt
1lb Vienna Malt
1lb Light Brown Sugar
****Mash 158 for 45 minutes****
0.25 Cascade Hops at 60 Minutes
0.25 Sorachi Ace 20 minutes
0.25 Cascade Hops 20 minutes
0.25 Sorachi Ace 7 Minutes
0.50 Orange Zest 5 Minutes
2 yeast...Wyeast 1007 and Wyeast 3333
Wyeast 1007 and starter used to start fermentation
Wyeast 3333 used when you add blood orangeade, no starter
****Start Vigorous Fermentation****
After Vigorous Fermentation subsides (3 days), add Blood Orangeade
****Ferment for a minimum of 3 weeks****

I used to use fresh blood oranges for this recipe and if you would like to, feel free to email me and I will give you the instructions...but cautious, several people screwed it up by getting some of the white skin in the mixture.
Here is the recipe for the blood orangeade:
1 x 1.75 liter of Simply Lemonade mixed with 8 to 9 ounces of Torani Blood Orange Extract, sample to see if you like the flavor before adding....add after 3 to 4 days of vigorous fermentation has ended, also dont forget to add Wyeast 3333 at this time, blow off tube strongly recommended for this recipe...if you do not have a blow off tube, then sanitize a piece of aluminum foil and lightly form an upside down cap on top of your fermentor neck...this will allow more gas to escape and will prevent wild yeast from invading...make sure foil comes down the neck by an inch.

This is the 18th and final version of this recipe for me, I tried to make it fool proof so that everyone can enjoy this one!

Some questions I know some people will ask:
- Extract Version - Yes, give me a couple of weeks to make it and test it before I post...in the interm, you can use the extract base from my Lemon Lime Hefe, just add brown sugar, change hops and use bloodaide.
-Secondary Fermentation - No, I rarely use secondary fermentation, because these yeast will kick some sugar ass and make a great beer, so why remove them!
-Subs - Feel free to sub what you want, I know I had 18 versions of this and finally found this one to be a great beer.
-Dual Yeast - I made several versions of this beer and couldnt find the right yeast, both of these applied at different times did what I was looking for...created a damn good beer!
-Torani Syrup - Google it and you can buy it on line, or at a restaurant/coffee supply place.
- 5 or 6 Gallon Recipe - The base is 5 Gallons + Bloodade
-IBU's/Gravity or Color dont Match - I use Beersmith as a recording tool, sometimes their may be calculation errors, but if you make great beer than the rest is kind of irrelevant to me...unless it prevents me from making beer.

I had to leave my Wyeast 1007 with the included starter on the countertop due to time constraints. All together it sat for ~24 hours since it had to warm up initially after breaking the food pack. I haven't used this yeast before, should I be concerned that there hasn't been any visual fermentation in 8 hours (I know it can take 24 to 48 hrs) since pitching? Should I pitch additional yeast or just wait out the 48 hrs?

It looks like this brew is fermenting along quite nicely. It took approximately 18 hours before I noticed any fermentation going on. Now there is a little liquid Krausen in the blowoff tube and it is bubbling ever second or so into the vodka on the other end. Rdwhahb I guess....

I have 3333 for the second yeast. I don't have the 1007 and can't get it locally. Could I use Safbrew 06 for the first yeast?

Left this in the primary for another week (4 total) because I simply didn't have time to bottle it. Next time I brew this it will not go the extra week. It had a different taste from what I believe is emparted from sitting on the yeast bed. Very yeasty flavor if that makes any sense. Anyway, it is all bottled up and sitting in the dark for the next 3 weeks. Hopefully it will settle down some once it sits in the fridge.

Going to brew a variation of this Saturday. I am lowering the fermentables a bit to lower the ABV to make this a wife brew. I am also making changes to make this a grapefruit heffy. My carboy is 5 gallons so I'm starting with 4 gallons and then adding the syrup to that for a total of 5 gallons.

================================================================================
Batch Size 4.000 gal
Boil Size 5.250 gal
Boil Time 1.000 hr
Efficiency 70%
OG 1.049 sg
FG 1.012 sg
ABV 5.0%
Bitterness 19.6 IBU (Tinseth)
Color 4.1 srm (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 4.000 lb Yes No 79% 2.0 srm
White Wheat Malt Grain 3.000 lb Yes No 86% 2.0 srm
Rice Hulls Adjunct 12.000 oz No No 0% 0.0 srm
Brown Sugar, Light Sugar 8.000 oz No No 100% 8.0 srm
Weyermann - Vienna Malt Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 81% 3.9 srm
Total grain: 8.750 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Cascade 6.0% 0.250 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 6.4
Cascade 6.0% 0.250 oz Boil 20.000 min Pellet 3.9
Sorachi Ace 10.0% 0.250 oz Boil 20.000 min Pellet 6.4
Sorachi Ace 10.0% 0.250 oz Boil 7.000 min Pellet 2.9

Miscs
Name Type Use Amount Time
Grapefruit peel Spice Boil 0.500 oz 5.000 min

Yeasts
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Wyeast - German Ale Ale Liquid 8.45 tbsp Primary
Wyeast - German Wheat Ale Liquid 8.45 tbsp Primary

Mash
Name Type Amount Temp Target Time
Infusion 0.000 tsp 152.000 F 152.000 F 1 hr

Notes
The grains are mashed for 4 gallons of wort in the primary. Pitch the Wyeast 1007 (1 liter starter). Ferment for about 3 days until aggressive fermentation ends. Make syrup with Simply Lemonaide (full bottle) and 9 oz of Torani Ruby Red Grapefruit syrup. Add the syrup and the Wyeast 3333 to the fermentor. Add blowoff tube and ferment to completion.

I threw one of these in the fridge Monday because the PET bottle was hard as a rock after only a couple of days. Tasted it today and the off taste was completely gone. Pretty good body and not overly sweet or tart. @7.99% abv. (I deviated from the recipe a bit) it wasn't too dry. This will be done again and again. Next bottle I pour I will get a picture and post.

I threw one of these in the fridge Monday because the PET bottle was hard as a rock after only a couple of days. Tasted it today and the off taste was completely gone. Pretty good body and not overly sweet or tart. @7.99% abv. (I deviated from the recipe a bit) it wasn't too dry. This will be done again and again. Next bottle I pour I will get a picture and post.

I read this post before I brewed this recipe and made a note not to let it ferment for more than 3 weeks. In fact I bottled it at about 18 days.

After chilling I transferred to a 5 gallon fermenter and a 1 gallon fermenter. I pitched safale US-05. After 4 days of fermentation I put the fresh squeezed orangeade mix and the safale US-06 in the 5 gallon carboy only. I left the 1 gallon fermenter alone.

Anyway, as soon as I removed the airlock from both carboys when I was ready to bottle, I noticed an off aroma coming from both. It smelled somewhat rubbery like the stopper the airlock was in?? The smell carried over to the bottling bucket too. There was no sign of infection and both hydrometer samples tasted fair, just had this strange aroma. I haven't noticed it in the 6 other beers I have brewed including batches with safale us-05.

Anyone have similar experiences?

Thanks WDD78 for the reassurance, I hope mine conditions well too.

I read this post before I brewed this recipe and made a note not to let it ferment for more than 3 weeks. In fact I bottled it at about 18 days.

After chilling I transferred to a 5 gallon fermenter and a 1 gallon fermenter. I pitched safale US-05. After 4 days of fermentation I put the fresh squeezed orangeade mix and the safale US-06 in the 5 gallon carboy only. I left the 1 gallon fermenter alone.

Anyway, as soon as I removed the airlock from both carboys when I was ready to bottle, I noticed an off aroma coming from both. It smelled somewhat rubbery like the stopper the airlock was in?? The smell carried over to the bottling bucket too. There was no sign of infection and both hydrometer samples tasted fair, just had this strange aroma. I haven't noticed it in the 6 other beers I have brewed including batches with safale us-05.

Glad it helped. I shared these at a family get together with some 50+ extended family ( 20+ wee ones running around ). I hid 2 bottles. My cousins, brothers, and their wives sucked it all down within 2 hours. I'd say it was a hit, turned out way better than I expected.

I've never made a hefeweizen so I'm not certain if the wort is too cloudy or not. It should be hazy but it looks densely tan, like muddy river water. The only factor I can think of is that the fermentation has been slow because the basement is below 70. It's been two weeks in the primary and all the notes say to keg it before 3 weeks are up. Should it be moved to warmer temperatures for the final week and should the color be of concern? Thanks in advance for your advice.

I've never made a hefeweizen so I'm not certain if the wort is too cloudy or not. It should be hazy but it looks densely tan, like muddy river water. The only factor I can think of is that the fermentation has been slow because the basement is below 70. It's been two weeks in the primary and all the notes say to keg it before 3 weeks are up. Should it be moved to warmer temperatures for the final week and should the color be of concern? Thanks in advance for your advice.

I would keep it below 70°F for sure, the cloudiness should clear up with conditioning and a week or two in the refrigerator. Take it to 3 weeks minimum and take gravity readings every 3 days or so. I took mine to 4 weeks before bottling and it turned out great.

Back