Blonde and Apfelwein using one packet of S-05...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdeezy

Reaction score
I am brewing a blonde this weekend, and figured I would get a small batch of apfelwein going as well.

I am brewing 5 gallons of the blonde, and only 2 gallons of the apfelwein. I was thinking I could get away with using one packet for both of these?

Any opinions?

I was thinking I would either pitch 1/4 - 1/3 in the 2 gallon fermentor and the rest in the 5 gallon, or I would try to make a small starter. I've never made a starter before, but seems pretty easy.

Thanks again for any and all input.

I'm probably going to run with a 1/3 - 2/3 split unless anyone has anything negative to say about it...

Whats your OG of each? If the blonde is a low OG, and apfelwein high, I would pitch 1/2 and 1/2. Make sure you rehydrate both, many people believe that a lot of dry yeast die when you pitch directly into wort/wine, since the yeast cell walls are not allowing only water into the cell.

Can the apfelwein wait? An even better solution would be to let the blonde ferment then pitch a portion of the yeast cake into the apfelwein.

Both of these are estimates as I haven't brewed either recipe yet, but...

Apfelwein OG = 1.062

Blonde OG = 1.044

However, the apfelwein is a 2.5 gallon batch, and the blonde is a 5 gallon batch...

I do have a batch of Ed's Haus in the fermenter right now sitting on S-05, and I supposed I could harvest some of that yeast to use in either recipe or both. The only problem I had with that theory is that I pitched a little high (around 85) and I got some :ban: esters so I didn't know if it would still be an OK sample to harvest.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the response by the way.

It was also producing some sulfur smells that S-05 usually doesnt (for me anyways). So I thought it may have been a little more stressed, and therefore less conducive to reusing.

I have seen threads about washing yeast for long stoarge, but none for same day use. If you are using it the same day do you just follow all of the instructions, but instead of putting it into the fridge you can just pitch as is?

If you are using it the same day all you need to do is scoop out a cup or two of slurry (See Mr Malty for exact pitching rates) with a sanitized measuring cup and pitch it directly to the new batch.

^^thats what I do anyhow. Some people will tell you that you need to wash every yeast you use. I've never noticed off flavors from doing this.

Those gravities arent really high. I would just pitch half and half of a new packet. Im not sure how high temperatures affect yeast as far as pitching on a new batch is concerned.

Back