SAFALE US-05 Full Packet- Small Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kugel

Reaction score
Any problems with pitching a full packet of US-05 for a 3 Gallon Wort. According to Brewers Friend Recipe Builder, that will be about 2x what is needed.

Will it cause a "Yeasty" flavor in the brew?

If I pitch only half a packet, can I vacuum seal the remainder in the packet and store it in the fridge? If yes, how long to you think it will last?

Thanks! Good Brewing and God Bless!

Kugel

No problems, I “overpitch” all the time, there will be no off flavors.

Or you could save half. What you’re describing sounds like best practice for keeping opened yeast. I’d guess (just a guess!) it would last months or more.

No problem, but I would use half a pack as I am a cheapskate ;)

If you use half a pack, then fold over and close. Vacuum seal if you can, otherwise put in a ziplock bag (pressing out as much air as possible).

I think yeast flavour only occurs if you keep the beer on the yeast for a very very long time.
I haven't tasted it yet, while I have had beers with lots of dead yeast in the bottle (that last bottle that you fill, and the trub sudddnly appears)

I typically close the sachet tightly, secure it with a rubber band, and put it i the fridge. I use the 2nd half within a couple of months.

The re-seal the package information is 'relatively' new at Lallemand's site (link):

1676401893440.png

+1 on using the whole packet without any issues, I do its all the time with 2.5 gal brews, I even hydrate it. There was a time I would use half and save half, but then I would decide to brew an English Ale with 04, and then a Belgian and then a Kolsh and a year later I am throwing out vacuum bags of yeast, hops and specialty grains.

Back