Blichmann RIMS-Rocket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quaboagbrewing

Reaction score
Looking for feedback from anyone that is currently using this product. When I first saw this thought this would be a great purchase but came across the following video: http://youtu.be/sPo7XE2WVwM that has given me some concerns. Also saw a few posts on other sites referencing the same issue as described in the video (premise is that the orange silicone plug on the bottom of the unit may easily wear and compromise the system possibly causing injury). I have emailed Blichmann for a response but was hoping to get some feedback from others that may be using this product to see if this is a legitimate concern. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yep,it's no longer accessible. Anyway, one person was extremely unhappy about the silicone plug they used as a safety relief. On and on about it to the point of filing a complaint with the Consumer Safety Protection Council (or whatever that is called). Even though John Blichmann told him he could return it.

It's too bad. That thread did have some useful info in it.

Repeat of prior post now deleted:

If you have a RIMS-Rocket please inspect the plug hole for a burr or sharp edge. This edge is causing the scraping and must be removed. Please contact us at the link below and we will take of that issue for you. If you are unhappy with the product we will work with your retailer to process a full refund.

The plug is there to guard against a misapplied or incorrectly installed product. A proper install is clearly explained in the manual and will prevent any pressure build-up and issue with the plug. It is also not necessary to remove the plug for cleaning. If you have any questions or concerns please contact us at the link below:

blichmannengineering.com/contact-us

Sincerely,

Blichmann Engineering

Heard back from John Blichmann regarding this issue. The problem with orange plug getting shaved off was legitimate and was caused by a burr on the edge of the punched hole which has since been corrected for all new ones being shipped and for anyone that already owns one they can contact Blichmann to get this corrected. There was a bit more information in the email but bottom line is that I feel comfortable that Blichmann has taken prompt action with the issue and will most likely still purchase the product. I figure I'm far more likely to suffer injury if I build a RIMS tube myself and have not had issue with any Blichmann products in the past. I'll post back once I have my hands on the product and have had a chance to inspect it and test it out for myself. If anyone else has actual hands on experience with this product would love to hear from you as well. With regard to the poster of the `Review` I appreciate the information and will take all standard precautions when working with this product as I would with any RIMS / HERMS product that involves water and electricity as I am truly not interested in attending any party where those two decide to "get together". I just have a lot more confidence in a product that Blichmann designed vs a RIMS that I would have otherwise built on my own.

It amazes me how far this site goes to silence those who are providing a service to their members. This thread asked for FEEDBACK on a product that I own. I provided feedback, and it is deleted as off topic?!?!

The product is dangerous and misrepresented, and people need to know this. They need to be allowed to make an educated choice. However, since Blichmann pay this site $$$$$$, you deleted an honest review to protect him.

It only drives more attention to the attempt to hush it up. But the consumer of product safety commissions will make it hard for you to ignore.

It amazes me how far this site goes to silence those who are providing a service to their members.

Yes, its the moderators' fault.

You've posted multiple times about this same issue, over and over and over. There is a company review forum, where negative reviews from actual customers are not censored in any way.

You have a five day vacation from HBT for your insult above. You may come back if you wish, we all have short memories, but you can't be hurling insults like the one above.

Thank you for taking care of that, Pappers. His actions have gone from being somewhat reasonable to completely ludicrous. He is the prime example of how not to handle a problem.

It amazes me how far this site goes to silence those who are providing a service to their members. This thread asked for FEEDBACK on a product that I own. I provided feedback, and it is deleted as off topic?!?!

The product is dangerous and misrepresented, and people need to know this. They need to be allowed to make an educated choice. However, since Blichmann pay this site $$$$$$, you deleted an honest review to protect him.

It only drives more attention to the attempt to hush it up. But the consumer of product safety commissions will make it hard for you to ignore.

Blichmann Engineering is not a sponsor here.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/sponsors/

I have a rims rocket, and have only used it onetime. It works great!
I have used a rims tube for over three years. It was 1 1/2 inches in diameter and if you get a stuck mash you don't have to worry about it blowing up. It
like the rims rocket has two half inch holes on each end the pressure is going to go out one of them way before it gets to 15 or 20 PSI. the rims R. has more volume than my old tube and dose not over heat near as fast. That makes it easier to do a mash out on an automated system.
Get it you will like it rubber plug and all.

Tom

The great Silicone Plug Conspiracy of 2014 :D

I am still planning to purchase one, however, I have gift cards for Rebel Brewer and they are dragging their feet adding the new products to their website.

Its a burr on a piece of metal. Not that hard to fix. Believe it or not blichmann isnt perfect and im sure they are the first to admit that. Not even the machine that cuts the metal is perfect. Burrs happen when you cut or drill metal. Just fix it yourself or send it back. Neither one will use that much energy.

Its a burr on a piece of metal. Not that hard to fix. Believe it or not blichmann isnt perfect and im sure they are the first to admit that. Not even the machine that cuts the metal is perfect. Burrs happen when you cut or drill metal. Just fix it yourself or send it back. Neither one will use that much energy.

But whats the fun in that? Its more funner to beat a dead horse...... :ban:

Am considering getting a RIMS rocket now that the electric controller has been released.

To those of you who own the RIMS rocket I'd love to hear what you think of it. Also, how do you have it mounted?

Am considering getting a RIMS rocket now that the electric controller has been released.

To those of you who own the RIMS rocket I'd love to hear what you think of it. Also, how do you have it mounted?

I'm also curious as to how the thing can be mounted. The way the plug is configured it can't simply sit on its bottom and none of the pics I've seen show any sort of mounting bracket.

I have the RIMS Rocket but have only done one brew (fermenting now). It seemed to work great, I then used it as a hop rocket at the end of whirlpool on the way to the plate chiller.

I just built a quick frame out of scrap 2x4s and covered with a high temp paint.

I am having issues with getting a uniform temp in the mash, I had to stir more often than I thought I would. I have a temp probe at the exit of the RIMS connected to a PID, but also the thermometer that came with the kettle. And also used an old brewers best floating thermometer to take temps at different points in the mash.

image.jpg

Just acquired my RIMS rocket and it arrived today. I purchased because I looked at building my own RIMS tube and found the balance between watts and watt density was quite favorable.

I will be happy to share my experience. I am still building out my controller and playing with options.

Two design questions I'm working through, would love feedback from others:
1) location of temperature sensor is advised by Blichmann literature to be on the exit of the flow, rather than entry. That seems quite odd for control of mash temp (most RIMS designs has temp measured at MLT flow exit). I can see how it might allow for PWM control of heating, of a sort, but it won't accurately measure the actual mash temp. Thoughts? Experiences?
[UPDATE] Figured this out. Measurement on exit is the way to go. Need to control mash inflow temp especially when doing step mashing.

2) Seems that there is a dearth of solutions for mounting this thing. 240V, 16A and recirculating mash deserves a bit more attention IMO. I saw the 2x4 wood solution and applaud the ingenuity, but hoping to figure out a metal mounting bracket of some kind, unless one of the community's master garage engineers has already done so...?

Best,
Mike

Last edited:
Any updates after a few brews? Looking at this vs building one... How is it at ramping mash temps? What type of electric outlets are you plugging into?

The RIMS/Hop Rocket does not come with any mounting hardware.
I use mine for both and found that having it rest on a stand is easier for me to switch out the parts and clean during the start of the boil.

Temperature ramps up quickly at the outlet of the RIMS Rocket, but I am still getting uneven temps in the Mash (10 gal batch). OG/FG are still where they are supposed to be so maybe I'm just over obsessing on the details.

The RIMS/Hop Rocket does not come with any mounting hardware.
I use mine for both and found that having it rest on a stand is easier for me to switch out the parts and clean during the start of the boil.

Temperature ramps up quickly at the outlet of the RIMS Rocket, but I am still getting uneven temps in the Mash (10 gal batch). OG/FG are still where they are supposed to be so maybe I'm just over obsessing on the details.

Curious, what are you using to control the rims rocket? Have you tried less than 100% power to see if more a gradual ramp may lead to more even mash temp?

Have you contacted Blichmann to see what their recommendations are, if any?

Made a controller using
Auberins PID temperature controller SYL-2352 w/40Amp SRR
With the Temp Probe at the outlet of the RIMS Rocket as recommended by Blichmann

I am going to shorten hoses and insulate the Mash TUN and see if that helps

This is my first RIMS so much of this is probably basic to those who have used similar systems.

Insulating the Mash Tun and shortening the lines helped some.
what helped the most was being able to increase the flow rate.

I did a few changes to increase flow
1. A bit more Rice hull
2. Backed my grain crusher up to .38
3. Don't stir so deep and not as often
4. After dough-in and 15 min settle, don't start pump, draw off by hand a few quarts to test flow.
5. Start pump and slowly increase speed of pump.
6. I have a T-connection at the top of the RIMS-Rocket with the temp probe and outflow, when level an air bubble can be trapped there. I tilted it slightly and the release of the air bubble helped the flow.
7. then turn on the heating element.

With these changes Temps were reached fairly quickly and held steady. I was able to do a RIS and hit my target OG 1.088.

Just got done setting up the rocket. I drilled a 5" hole in the table with a hole saw. The hole is large enough to prevent the flange from resting on the table.

I'm using tables from the Webstaurant store. I have two tables because I'm doing my mash inside and then transferring outside for the boil. They are also great for mounting the therminator. You can remove the top and mount the therminator to the bracket underneath:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/reg...eel-work-table-with-undershelf/600T2424G.html

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

That looks awesome! For a product that is marketed as a turnkey solution to a RIMS system, having to figure out your own way to stand it up is a bit of a miss! Still love Blichmann though

Just got done setting up the rocket. I drilled a 5" hole in the table with a hole saw. The hole is large enough to prevent the flange from resting on the table.

I'm using tables from the Webstaurant store. I have two tables because I'm doing my mash inside and then transferring outside for the boil. They are also great for mounting the therminator. You can remove the top and mount the therminator to the bracket underneath:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/reg...eel-work-table-with-undershelf/600T2424G.html
Looks great! I have been looking at webstaurantstore tables as well.

That looks awesome! For a product that is marketed as a turnkey solution to a RIMS system, having to figure out your own way to stand it up is a bit of a miss! Still love Blichmann though

Looks great! I have been looking at webstaurantstore tables as well.

Thanks. It is a bit surprising that you have to come up with a mount solution. The top tier mount doesn't work for my setup.

The webstaurant tables are great. The quality is good and the price is reasonable. :mug:

Back