Blichmann QuickCarb (New from HomebrewCon 2016)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm happy the article mentions DFH's Randall as it is obvious prior art.

So which Quick-Carb pilot is going to be the first? :)

Cheers!

Finally going to test this baby tomorrow on a coffee milk stout :D
WhatsApp Image 2017-02-08 at 9.12.44 PM.jpeg

Sierra Nevada system for that is the hop torpedo. I build one one using a pump to circulate beer out of bottom of my conical then through a tube like a Randall and back into fermenter through racking arm turned up
Was not bad it worked but was lots of trouble especially when hops clogged up the pump 🙁

Or maybe even keep the dry hops completely out of the fermenter using filters to just push beer through the dry hop container. IIRC, Sierra Nevada does something like this with their Torpedo system... could get all that hoppy goodness in a much shorter timeframe and if you use some valves, you could probably change out dry hop 'containers' without any oxygen exposure too... food for thought.

For cleaning the quickcarb, the last step says to remove the hoses and carb stone and hang to dry. How do you guys dry the carb stone? Is it safe being open to the elements just hanging like that?

a little tip just read, commercial breweries leave their carb stones in cleaning solution or starsan at all time, think im going to leave my carb stone in a mason jar with starsan from now on.

a little tip just read, commercial breweries leave their carb stones in cleaning solution or starsan at all time, think im going to leave my carb stone in a mason jar with starsan from now on.

Ive been leaving my oxygen stone Tee dry and just soaking in starsan for for a while right before use... No issues with infection doing this either for a couple years now so I think the risk is minimal.

Ive been leaving my oxygen stone Tee dry and just soaking in starsan for for a while right before use... No issues with infection doing this either for a couple years now so I think the risk is minimal.

i guess i got a little concerned with the stones clogging, i just switched from .5 to 2 micron on my carbonation lid since the stone started to give me some trouble, hoping to keep my quickcarb running smooth.

Oh cool that's what i asked :)

Keep us updated!, maybe i could build one instead of buying the QuickCarb

Oh you certainly can.... all you need is a knife or cutters for the hose, wrench to tighten the fittings, telflon tape and a flat blade screw driver for the hose clamps.. it assembles in like 5-10 minutes... theres really not much to it. and depending on what pump you use you can build it for $50 and up...

Oh cool that's what i asked :)

Keep us updated!, maybe i could build one instead of buying the QuickCarb

Go at it!

12V DC 70W Micro Diaphragm Pump Self-Priming Food grade
AC100-240V to DC 12V 10A Power Supply Adapter
1/2" Tee 3 way Stainless Steel 304 NPT
x2 Male Thread Pipe Fitting Stainless Steel NPT 1/2" x 3/8" barb OD
1/2" NPT Diffusion Stone 2 Micron
Fuel Gas Line Quick Connect Disconnect 1/4"

Note: This is what i used, dont blame me if something goes wrong, do your own homework.

Hey guys what size of tubing do you recommend for building one of these?

Do you think it would be possible to assemble a sample port within the quickcarb? It would be nice to check the CO2 level without having to disassemble the device.

I don't see why you couldn't. I just set my psi on the regulator and run the quick Carb until the beer going into the pump from the keg is the same consistency as the beer returning to the keg.

You can notice the return is not as clear as the beer going into pump when you're still not at the desired co2 level.

I don't see why you couldn't. I just set my psi on the regulator and run the quick Carb until the beer going into the pump from the keg is the same consistency as the beer returning to the keg.

You can notice the return is not as clear as the beer going into pump when you're still not at the desired co2 level.

My issue is that it's always SLIGHTLY undercarbed. I run it a couple PSI above my goal with a beer temp of approx. 40ºF, but the temp does raise a bit while it runs through the device, so maybe I should just run it 3-4 psi above my CO2 volume target.

My issue is that it's always SLIGHTLY undercarbed. I run it a couple PSI above my goal with a beer temp of approx. 40ºF, but the temp does raise a bit while it runs through the device, so maybe I should just run it 3-4 psi above my CO2 volume target.

its supposed to always carb the beer 90%, thats why they recommend leaving the beer to sit for at least 24hrs at the right psi so it finishes carbonating.

its supposed to always carb the beer 90%, thats why they recommend leaving the beer to sit for at least 24hrs at the right psi so it finishes carbonating.

Where did you see that recommendation? Can that pump take 24 hours of activity? I assume you have to cover the tubing if you're going to run it for 24 hours, to minimize light exposure...

Lol didn't mean leave it running 24 hrs, didn't explain myself correctly, it's 45-60 min on the quickcarb then disconnect everything and leave it carbing as you normally would for 24hrs to finish of that last 10% of carbonation

Lol didn't mean leave it running 24 hrs, didn't explain myself correctly, it's 45-60 min on the quickcarb then disconnect everything and leave it carbing as you normally would for 24hrs to finish of that last 10% of carbonation

lol ok that makes much more sense.

Just got this last week. I used it over the weekend to carbonate 3 kegs. Once the keg equilibrates with the dialed pressure from the regulator, the beer going by the stone stops foaming. If you halt the pump and temporarily turn off the CO2, you are able to purge the keg and start it up again. Also, I chilled the kegs down to 33 F so when it warmed up during the carbonation it would still be cool enough to hold more CO2. It works really well if you add 4-6 PSI over the recommended PSI on the chart.

Been awhile since I have been on here. I just got my quickcarb today and was really excited to use it. I tightened evvverything down and stilll the output leaks like crazy!!!its the section where right at the bottom of the T where the beer and c02 meet coming out to go back into the keg. The o ring is in there..but the leaking..it's ridiculous! Thoughts? Ideas?

I am wondering if there is something wrong with mine. In a couple reviews I have watch its commented on how incredibly quiet the quickcarb is, but mine is actually pretty noisy. Anyone else think it is rather loud? If not, maybe I should reach out to blichmann?

Mikael— Which end of the T is leaking? CO2, beer or pump?

The most common place for leaks is the pump connections, which have to be super tight. Liquid could easily drip down the line from there and show up at the T. Tighten as tight as you can, then tighten some more.

Marjen, I wouldn't describe mine as noisy unless the line is blocked. It gets radically louder when kinked.

Right at the exit to the saturation end opposite side of the c02 inlet. I tried posting a picture but has to 'wait for moderator approval' before posting.

Update...
I found out the problem...Turns out it WASN'T coming from that rim and it wasn't the o ring inside.

It was the oetiker clamps they used on the tube....on BOTH ends..they weren't tight enough. I snipped both ends and used my own clamps. The thing runs like a champ now.

If you buy the quickcarb. do a test run and check those clamps. You just might need to replace them!!!

It's surprisingly easy for those clamps to be loose— that's why I say tighten and tighten again. I've gotten caught on that one many times myself, and I'm sure I'm not done yet ;?)

I am currently doing a DIY of this QuickCarb, I noticed a lot of others using a pump found on Ebay that states it is "Food Grade". Isn't this the same as a Potable water pump? I haven't been able to get a straight answer on this.
Here is a pump I found on Amazon that is close to the same rating as the one used on the QuickCarb.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DLKT4OO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

one.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am currently doing a DIY of this QuickCarb, I noticed a lot of others using a pump found on Ebay that states it is "Food Grade". Isn't this the same as a Potable water pump? I haven't been able to get a straight answer on this.
Here is a pump I found on Amazon that is close to the same rating as the one used on the QuickCarb.

Basically its just about how safe you want to be with your beer, dont want any weird or not intended flavors. This article explains it pretty well.

http://gwcontainers.com/food-grade-plastic-what-is-it/

Basically its just about how safe you want to be with your beer, dont want any weird or not intended flavors. This article explains it pretty well.

http://gwcontainers.com/food-grade-plastic-what-is-it/

Thanks for the Article but it dose not explain the difference if any between "potable" plastic and "Food Safe" On can assume from the names that they both are ok for drinking water but the material sheet dose not state the type of plastic used for the Diaphragm on this pump.

Update the Diaphragm Seals And Housing are is made from Santoprene EDPM, Vition, polypropylene, and Nylon. All of these materials are food safe for the type of application we would use it for, assuming you stay within the Temp ranges of the pump of course.

My main concern was I would prefer to purchase from a manufacturer here in the US versus China which dose not have the same regulatory rules with products as we do here.

I still need to cut down the plate its attached to and install a hook to hang it but it works great!

I also am building a version of this. Any input on the length or diameter of the liquid lines? Does anyone notice or have an opinion on whether the lines should be longer or shorter on either side to improve functionality?

I also am building a version of this. Any input on the length or diameter of the liquid lines? Does anyone notice or have an opinion on whether the lines should be longer or shorter on either side to improve functionality?

I would say your liquid lines should be 3/8 or 5/16 which are within 1/8 of each other.
As for line length, I'm in the shorter line camp and here is why:
Longer line will allow the liquid to be exposed to the ambient temperature of the room, raising the temp of the fluid which is already having to deal with the temp increase from running through the pump itself. Unless you are going to leave it in a refrigerator during the process. There is also the question of the resistance of tubing on the fluid which is negated by the fact that if using the same type of pump Blichmann is using you can adjust the litters per minute. So there really is no need, like with a kegerator, to calibrate the psi with hose length. The one I built which is pictured above as an adjustment screw which allow a range of 1.8 liters to 4.2 liters per minute.

Back