Blichmann Liquid Flow Meter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLo

Reaction score
Does anybody know where I might be able to get a few flow meter like the one Blichmann has on their Tower of Power?

I don't need the sensor just a cone shaped liquid flow meter that could get you to boiling temps. Although if I had the sensor I could certainly use it.

Here is an image from Blichmann's web site.

BlichmannFlowMeter.png

Thanks Mpez for the reply. I've done the ebay search a few times, and looked at a few of them. What I liked about the Blichmann flow meter was the 1/2" connectors and the ability to flush out grain bits. Both flow meters could work, but I'm looking to see if anybody knows where to source the one Blichmann is using.

I'll bet you could order one as a replacement part through your favorite blichmann retailer.

I did email and chat with a couple of retailers. One suggestion was to buy the Tower of Power and then order a replacement flow meter. Then I would have 2. Although for the price, I'll likely just keep looking.

I did pick up the stainless one Mpez suggested "Hedland Variable Area SS Water Based Fluid In-Line Flowmeter 0.2 - 2 GPM NEW" Just add some tri clover fittings to each end I think I'll be in business. Essentially I'm trying to measure the flow rate out of the mash tun during recirculation and sparging. Apparently I suck at setting the same flow rate and getting a consistent sparge, so time to add some more equipment.....

One way you might find a few more options is to search for "rotameter", which is the real name for these things.

Nice tip on the "rotameter" it looks like that's leading me down the right track.

I'm going to try the one I got off of ebay first.

What I can't understand is why that tower costs as much as it does: a couple of valves, a flowmeter and a stand.

What I can't understand is why that tower costs as much as it does: a couple of valves, a flowmeter and a stand.

Its really the only thing holding me back from getting the whole system. If the price for the tower came down 150-200 I would probably already own one

I ran a wet test with this setup yesterday and added the new flow meter in on the left. So far so good, although the test was only with water.

By having the flow meter before the RIMS tube and part of the MLT wort out, I can attempt to dial in the sparge and recirc rates. Right now sometimes I sparge in 20 minutes, and other times 40 minutes or more. It will be nice to know how fast I'm really running.

flowmeter.jpg

Search for Polysulfone Flowmeter and you should be able to find some sources. Coleparmer has them for about $100.

I have been reverse engineering the Blichmann and pretty much have it complete. The cost they are charging is not excessive. I think they have a resonable markup based on the cost I came up with to build my own. I'm pretty sure they are using a Fenwal 120 volt spark igniter. If someone ownes one, can they confirm this.

Search for Polysulfone Flowmeter and you should be able to find some sources. Coleparmer has them for about $100.

I have been reverse engineering the Blichmann and pretty much have it complete. The cost they are charging is not excessive. I think they have a resonable markup based on the cost I came up with to build my own. I'm pretty sure they are using a Fenwal 120 volt spark igniter. If someone ownes one, can they confirm this.

the controller or the tower part with the valves and flow meter? i would not guess that the controller is cheap, it's the tower part that seems expensive to me.

True, the markup on the tower stand is higher, but there are a lot more pieces. The flowmeter and some of the stainless fittings are pretty expensive. You could make an almost identical one for a lot cheaper. Definetly worth trying.

I bought two controllers, but skipped buying the tower based on cost and my desire to have something that was attached to my stand. For $35, I bought a CRT TV mount, used the Blichmann plate for two controllers and mounted everything to the brew stand. It articulates. So I can move it around when I'm working with hoses near the HLT. I use a pyrex measuring cup to measure my flow. Works well, but lacks the auto shutoff feature. I monitor my flow for the first 10 minutes or so. After that, there's not a lot of chance that things are going to get stuck.

IMAG0284-1.jpg

dcbc, where is the measuring cup/flowmeter in this picture and how is it working for you? I'd like a less expensive alternative to the ToP tower myself.

Thanks,

MikeB

after brewing 4-5 batches using the TOP i can see the value of a flowmeter. the recirculation stopped a couple of times and the mash got up into the low 190's before i noticed it, bummer but i still can't see paying $500 for the TOP flowmeter stand.

I think the whole point of the one included with the tower is that it has a sensor to alert you when the flow slows or stops. How much help is it to have a flow meter unless you are going to stare at it for the whole 60 minute mash, or at least check it constantly. It does not take that long for a stuck mash to ruin a batch when the burner is on.

dcbc, where is the measuring cup/flowmeter in this picture and how is it working for you? I'd like a less expensive alternative to the ToP tower myself.

Thanks,

MikeB

Sorry, that didn't make much sense. I stuck a measuring cup under the return flow and figured out how much time it took to recirculate 1 quart. Blichmann has a minimum/suggested flow rate. So I did that to figure out if I could get it flowing adequately.

I just let the mash settle for 10 minutes. Start the pump slow and get it to about 1/4 open on the ball valve. This is a pretty good flow rate and I have not had any trouble with losing prime or stuck mashes.

The flow meter is an added level of protection for sure, but not something I felt I had to have.

I think the whole point of the one included with the tower is that it has a sensor to alert you when the flow slows or stops. How much help is it to have a flow meter unless you are going to stare at it for the whole 60 minute mash, or at least check it constantly. It does not take that long for a stuck mash to ruin a batch when the burner is on.

I think there is a sensor that kills the flame if the flow drops below the set point, but I could have misunderstood that part.

i think it sets off that horrible alarm, it might do both.

It does that every time it lights. :) I can pretty much tune it out. Will investigate.

Edit: Okay, investigated. You're right. Just an alarm. If it killed the flame, it would be a worthwhile addition. One other thing I do is mash in pretty thin. With the false bottom on my kettle, I'm mashing in at close to 2 qts per lb. Easy to recirculate pretty fast without sticking.

I just wanted you guys to know I'm replacing this setup with a heated grant. Here are some of my experiences with this part of my setup over a dozen brews:

Flow Meter:
- Did exactly what I wanted and measured my GPM for my recirc
- I did take it apart and clean it a few times, sometimes chucks of grain dried on the inside and that didn’t work so hot.
- It adds unnecessary backpressure to the pumping setup
- Something extra to clean
- Now that I have a feel for recirc rates and sparge rates I don’t need this any more

RIMS Tube:
- I had it turned the wrong way, I would orient the tube so there is always wort in the tube and have wort enter and exit the top. When the flow rate slowed and the element got hot, steam was generated and left part of the element exposed. The site glass would empty out and it was no good.

Site Glass:
- Pretty cool at seeing your wort flowing through, I’m keeping this as a component by basically placing this inline in the hose leaving the heated grant.

3 Way Valve:
- Worked as expected and I didn’t have to move a hose full of hot wort
- I’m going to remove the 3 way and just move a hose full of hot wort
- Cleaning, disassembly and reassembly were just way more work than moving the hose

I ran a wet test with this setup yesterday and added the new flow meter in on the left. So far so good, although the test was only with water.

By having the flow meter before the RIMS tube and part of the MLT wort out, I can attempt to dial in the sparge and recirc rates. Right now sometimes I sparge in 20 minutes, and other times 40 minutes or more. It will be nice to know how fast I'm really running.

Whoa !!

I have since completed my system and it's completely unnecessary.

Yep, a reasonable flow will work fine with the TOP. You can eyeball it.

As far as flow completely stopping, your pump has a built in screech alarm for that one. But apart from excessive use of excessive wheat or rye and trying to run the pump at too high of a rate, clogs haven't been an issue.

Frankly, Jamil's Gramarye recipe is the only time I ever have stuck a mash. And I make plenty of 60% wheat hefeweizens without rice hulls.

Back