Blichmann HopRocket with pellets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOLA

Reaction score
I've got a Blichmann HopRocket and I like it a lot.
However I am a pellet man, so I have been looking for solutions for using pellets, even if Blichmann says it is not possible.

Solution, stainless scrubbies

Install the screen as usual
imagegas.jpg

Then fit the scrubbies.
imagewqjz.jpg

Then hops in a hop bag. I use ultra fine mesh nylon bags.
imagevjaq.jpg

I have only used this as a randalizer.

Sorry guys :(

I have only used it as a randalizer.

I will get back to you when I try it as a hop back.

On this note, I'll add that I did try a HBT user tip and try a tea ball of pellets in a keg. I don't think I really noticed its appearance in flavor aroma or clarity vs the bottled portion. That's why I got a HR, cause I really like leaf hop aroma and flavor!

I use pellets in kegs quite a lot with tea balls.
To ensure good extraction you should never fill it more than 1/3, otherwise the hops just form a big, solid mass.

As with dryhopping in you fermenter, if the beer is cold the extraction is much slower than if it is at room temperature.

MOLA said:
I use pellets in kegs quite a lot with tea balls.
To ensure good extraction you should never fill it more than 1/3, otherwise the hops just form a big, solid mass.

As with dryhopping in you fermenter, if the beer is cold the extraction is much slower than if it is at room temperature.

Copy that, yeah I packed it full, I'll try again thanks.

I've got a Blichmann HopRocket and I like it a lot.
However I am a pellet man, so I have been looking for solutions for using pellets, even if Blichmann says it is not possible.

Solution, stainless scrubbies

Install the screen as usual
imagegas.jpg

Then fit the scrubbies.
imagewqjz.jpg

Then hops in a hop bag. I use ultra fine mesh nylon bags.
imagevjaq.jpg

I have only used this as a randalizer.

I wrap the insert screen in a hop sock and just throw in pellets to my heart's content. Works like a champ for fast dry hopping. I connect kegs out to out and transfer with low pressure co2 and then back to the original keg. (BTW you may have the screen in backward)

Back