Blichmann BoilCoil - which one do i have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shockey8oz

Reaction score
I recently purchased an eBIAB setup from someone getting out of brewing. He sold me an eBIAB system which included a kettle with a Blichmann BoilCoil. When we were talking, he mentioned I could swap out the plug end (standard 120V) for a 240V end and reach boil faster. After a little bit of research, I see there is a 10 gallon 120V version AND a 10 gallon 240V version of the BoilCoil. I am going to assume I have the 120V version due to the electrical cord.

Is there a way to verify?
Is it possible to move to 240V?

TIA

I recently purchased an eBIAB setup from someone getting out of brewing. He sold me an eBIAB system which included a kettle with a Blichmann BoilCoil. When we were talking, he mentioned I could swap out the plug end (standard 120V) for a 240V end and reach boil faster. After a little bit of research, I see there is a 10 gallon 120V version AND a 10 gallon 240V version of the BoilCoil. I am going to assume I have the 120V version due to the electrical cord.

Is there a way to verify?
Is it possible to move to 240V?

TIA
look for part number on it? Or check resistance of the element with a multimeter..

edit, I did a quick google to find the answer for you.
If you have the 240v version of the 10 gallon boil coil its only 3750w at 240v... divide that by 4 and thats the power output you would get if you powered it with 120v. Thats 937w, its very unlikely you could brew 10 gallons with such a low power output as it would not be able to reach a boil. Therefore it sounds like you have the 120v version right now and you would need to swap elements to go to 240v (unless you found that you cant reach a boil with 10 gallons now?)

of course now that I google it and looked at the pictures I can see if you have 3 coils in the kettle you have the 240v version, if theres only 2 you have the 120v version...
http://shop.greatfermentations.com/...CTqFM73s1lwqe4DNLUFSoN-XCQb-evMBoC_gAQAvD_BwE

http://shop.greatfermentations.com/...BIJsnYZfXPZCqIVfFJ000Tph_IASAaoRoCDZ4QAvD_BwE

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back