Blichmann 15 gal pilot system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffighter90

Reaction score
I am new to electric brewing, and to get started I bought a "turn key system," the Blichmann 15 gal HERMS pilot system. Since I have gotten the system I have tried to run a simulated brew day with just water to get the feel of the controls so there are no surprises on a real brew day. But I can not get a boil, I can get a simmer which just won't do for a brew day. The controller says it is 212 degrees but its only simmering. I have read the directions a hundred times. I am at sea level and ambient temperature is 80 degrees so a boil should not be an issue. I have insulated the kettle from the steel table in case it was acting like a heat sink that has not helped. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Have you tried testing the temperature with a different and calibrated thermometer? The one on the system might be low.

What do you mean by only getting a simmer? If you're 212 degrees and it's bubbling, that's a boil, and your controller is likely regulating temperature. Can you set the controller to 215 degrees, or 218 degrees, and see if you get more of the rolling boil you seem to be expecting?

Are you setting your controller to manual power mode and not temperature mode? To accurately control a boil, you need to set to manual, run at 100% of power until you reach boil, and then reduce to whatever percentage maintains a rolling boil

EDIT - quick glance at the manual for the BrewCommander (which i'm assuming is what you're using?) you need to hit the Off/Auto/On button from auto (which is for maintaining temperature), to On, which functions then at a percentage of power instead of temperature.

I have tried 3 different thermometers, no, the temp control will not go higher than 212, and I have used auto and manual settings and the result is the same. All I seem to achieve is a very slow simmer, like its just ready to boil but needs just a couple more drgrees.

The temp readout will never go higher than 212 unless the temp probe is out of calibration It almost sounds like this is being ran on 120v instead of the correct 240v...This is a 240v system right? (It should be for 15 gallon) what is the voltage of the boilcoil here? if you plugged it into 120v it will only deliver 1/4 of the power output to the element and seem really slow along with the results your getting... I know blichmann only sells this size system for 240v but if the plugs arent wired on the ends or the electrician goofed up it will still power up on 120v I believe.

have you tried to boil in the HLT yet? same results? if so its either a power issue or something your overlooking when trying to use manual mode. if in auto mode the boil should start and stop over and over.. you need manual mode for a consistent strong boil.

I also would have to believe that blichmann has a very capable support team... You did pay for it might as well use it right?

Last edited:
Back