Blending with 3724 (Belgian Saison) for attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidsmoke

Reaction score
Unfortunately the LHBS was out of my favorite saison yeast French Saison (Wyeast 3711). They did however have Belgian Saison (Wyeast 3724)— which I am always hesitant to use because of the tales of it stalling midway through fermentation. I ended up purchasing 3724 because I am brewing today.

I just happen to have a pack of the Bieré de Garde (3725)* yeast laying around. I originally thought of pitching the both of them at the start, but figured the Bieré de Garde yeast would clean up any flavors put out by the Belgian Saison yeast early on. So I was thinking that I could pitch the 3725 either at: 1. high krausen 2. when the krausen falls from the Belgian Saison yeast.

I was wondering when would be the best time to pitch 3725 so that I could have the flavor of the 3724 with the attenuation of 3725?

*Having used the 3725 before, I would say that it's own contributions are probably going to be very slight as it ferments out pretty clean.

As long as you're able to let 3724 ferment out for a couple months, I wouldn't pitch 3725. 3724 will ferment out fine. It just takes extra time or extra temp during ferment, whichever you prefer.

I think I normally would do that, except I don't have a couple of months. I'm brewing this for a competition so was hoping to get it wrapped up within a month or so — hence pitching the extra yeast.

Latest posts

Back