Blending wine that's too sweet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duderay

Reaction score
Hello,

I made a batch of dandelion wine and I believe I added too much sugar. Now I have wine that is too sweet. I am looking for some advice on how to blend this with another dry wine prior to bottling. Any suggestions on a type of wine that won't mask the flavor of the dandelion wine? I really don't have the time right now to make another batch of dry dandelion wine to add to it.

Thanks,
Dude

What was the starting gravity? What yeast did you pitch? Did you add sorbate to stabilize? I ask because it may be possible to ferment the wine more dry...

I used Lalvin EC-118. My starting gravity was 1.153 and my ending was 1.053. I haven't added anything but the Camden tabs since I first made my must. My last reading for final gravity of 1.053 was in September. I've had it in the Carboy ever since.

For blending, you would likely do well to use Sauv Blanc since it is a relatively neutral wine that won't over-power your dandelion flavors. Not only will it dilute the residual sweetness of your wine, it will dilute the very high alcohol level down to something closer to a table wine. The EC-1118 yeast is quite robust and can keep chugging away upwards to 18% ABV under favorable conditions.

Latest posts

Back