Blended SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonewild

Reaction score
I have been smashing (Single Malt and Single Hops) lately. I have 4 different smashes and each, while good, is missing something. So, I decided to blend them and WOW... the result is not bad!

Right now, I'm drining a 2 row / cascade smash blended with a Maris Otter / Colombus smash. Good stuff.

Anyone else out there SMaSHing and blending?

What is really fun, is that I can change the mix. I think I will go add some black lager to the mix.

Homebrew is so much fun!

Ya right now Im drinking a 2row Maris Otter IPA with Columbus bittering and Cascade aroma and flavor it is slamming :D if thats what you mean by blending.

Ya right now Im drinking a 2row Maris Otter IPA with Columbus bittering and Cascade aroma and flavor it is slamming :D if thats what you mean by blending.

Not really: I have two seperate beers in kegs. Then I mixed them. First Time 50 /50.

Though that does sound great.

BTW: the black lager with MO / Columbus ale on top... ROCKS...

Interesting concept. I wonder how closely your 2-row cascade/marris otter columbus blend would taste to a standard 2-row marris otter with cascade columbus?

SMaSHs are great but they are simplistic in nature. If you want something more complex multi grain hop brews are where you should aim.

Interesting concept. I wonder how closely your 2-row cascade/marris otter columbus blend would taste to a standard 2-row marris otter with cascade columbus?

SMaSHs are great but they are simplistic in nature. If you want something more complex multi grain hop brews are where you should aim.

I have asked myself the same question.

I have 5 kegs of beer of various types. Blending beers has been a fun way to mix things up.

This not my first time blending: I have a very malty amber lager that could use more hops, I have added a very hoppy beer to it with favorful results.

Mixing simple beers (SMaSHs) gives a more predictable results.

I will do another search to see if anyone else is blending beers. But I feel like Im breaking some unwriten homebrew law....

Next weekend I was trying to plan a recipe with columbus and cascade. Mind divulging your amounts and times of the hop additions? Never done columbus as late additions before, what should I expect? Or maybe the smash recipes

I've blended Stone ruination ipa and arrogant bastard for a ruined bastard and their smoked porter with regular ipa for a smokey indian. Haven't done it with any of my homebrew tho.

Next weekend I was trying to plan a recipe with columbus and cascade. Mind divulging your amounts and times of the hop additions? Never done columbus as late additions before, what should I expect? Or maybe the smash recipes

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: MOCol: Maris Otter Columbus SMaSH
Brewer: Stonewild
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) Full creamy body with balanced hoppy character. Next time less body.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 3.09 gal
Post Boil Volume: 2.34 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 2.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 1.78 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 5.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 63.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 100.0 %
0.30 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60. Hop 2 35.9 IBUs
0.30 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 30. Hop 3 27.6 IBUs
0.10 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 4 -
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 Yeast 5 -
0.40 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Dry Hop Hop 6 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 5 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 13.82 qt of water at 162.3 F 156.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------

and ...

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: 2CS: 2RowCascade SMaSH
Brewer: Stonewild
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) Light refreshing citrus drink

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 3.09 gal
Post Boil Volume: 2.34 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 2.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 1.78 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 3.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 100.0 %
0.65 oz Cascade [6.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 2 38.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [6.20 %] - Aroma Steep 5.0 min Hop 3 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Cooper Ale (Coopers #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast 4 -
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 5 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 4 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 13.53 qt of water at 157.1 F 152.1 F 75 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
--------------------------------------------------------------

I've blended Stone ruination ipa and arrogant bastard for a ruined bastard and their smoked porter with regular ipa for a smokey indian. Haven't done it with any of my homebrew tho.

Blending the Smoky beer sounds good.

I have blended my OVER-smoked beer with a milder dark beer to get balance.

Thanks! Interesting approach on the maris otter/columbus. I have always used quite a bit of late hop additions on american beers, but most of the aroma and flavor came from dryhopping there. Did you do this cause columbus can be harsh in the finish?

Thanks! Interesting approach on the maris otter/columbus. I have always used quite a bit of late hop additions on american beers, but most of the aroma and flavor came from dryhopping there. Did you do this cause columbus can be harsh in the finish?

Yeah, Im thinking there is a error there. I pretty sure I put on late addition. The beer's nice, and even nicer mixed with the other smashs.

BTW: I just received my BYO Mag and it has a artical on Blending Beers.

Back