New England IPA Blasphemy - No Boil NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRGriffith

Reaction score
I wanted to post this recipe because it is so simple to make, is quick from grain to glass, and is absolutely delicious when it's done. There are plenty of threads regarding the risks and benefits of not boiling the wort, so there won't be an intent to cover that in this recipe.

6 Lbs. Wheat DME
2 Lbs. Turbinado Sugar (Primary)
3 Tsp. Calcium Chloride (CaCl2)
(Pre-Mix In Fermenter)

Pre-Treat 5 Gallons of water with:
1/4 Camden Tablet

Safale S-04 English Ale Yeast

There is no boil and zero hopping before fermentation for this beer. This results in 0 IBU. I find that the dry hop contributes enough perceived bitterness for the style.

3 Oz. Citra (Dry Hop ~7 Days)
3 Oz. Mosaic (Dry Hop ~7 Days)
Any fruit forward combination would be good however. Belma / El Dorado is one I'd like to try.

I add the dry hop addition at about 30 hours after pitching the yeast. At this time, with proper yeast management, fermentation has begun to taper off and I lock the lid down on my bucket to minimize oxygen exposure to the beer. After about a week, transfer immediately to the serving keg and as with any NEIPA, be sure to purge the keg with CO2. All told, the hands on time to make this was about 10 minutes.

OG: 1.072
FG: 1.011
ABV: 8.1%
IBU: 0
SRM: 3.86

The beer turns out smooth, juicy, and really reminiscent of tangerine. In other words, awesome.

Cheers!

IMG_0356.JPG

I'm very intrigued by all these no boil / raw ale threads popping up lately. This may be a perfect style for a first attempt. Can you comment on the stability? My batches usually last no more than two months and I'd be curious to know if any sort of deterioration might occur over that period.

I'm very intrigued by all these no boil / raw ale threads popping up lately. This may be a perfect style for a first attempt. Can you comment on the stability? My batches usually last no more than two months and I'd be curious to know if any sort of deterioration might occur over that period.

This one's at about a month old, but I don't envision it lasting on tap much longer. Usually when I brew this type of IPA, it gets drank quickly. That said, it's held up quite well so far. Oxygen would be your biggest threat to stability for this type of beer.

This one's at about a month old, but I don't envision it lasting on tap much longer. Usually when I brew this type of IPA, it gets drank quickly. That said, it's held up quite well so far. Oxygen would be your biggest threat to stability for this type of beer.
I've spent a considerable effort modifying my setup for low O2 exposure so no concerns there. I'm going to give this a go but I will most likely do a full mash. I'll report back.

I've spent a considerable effort modifying my setup for low O2 exposure so no concerns there. I'm going to give this a go but I will most likely do a full mash. I'll report back.
Stability with grain is different than with dme I am guessing. There are reports of stability being ok with grain as well. To be sure, I suspect no boil dme and grain have a different taste. No boiled grain has a unique fresh taste to it. With dme I wonder how different boiled vs no boil taste based on how it was produced.

Looks interesting- might have to try this

Type of water you use?

This is just my local water. It's a medium hardness, so I just added some CaCl2 to bring it closer to the NEIPA minerality and then treated with Camden to eliminate chlorine and chloramine

Awesome thanks- I will probably be trying this very soon. The current living situation doesn't allow for all my equipment and brewing so this looks like a great way to keep the kegs filled

Interesting you get flavour without adding hops in the kettle.
Ive done a noboil neipa but I did add hops in the whirlpool. It was good and had an even greater mouthfeel.
This was with all grain not DME.
Very curious to hear results from people on this as I cant imagine this can be a great beer with hops missing from the hotside

I have brewed a few no boil NEIPA/ Hoppy wheat beers and they have been very drinkable. Beer is ready in a week. Ferment hot with kveik then lower the temp and dry hop. I keg hopped this one as well.
DSC_0766.JPG

I have my ingredients in the mail coming in tomorrow- excited to try this out. BRGriffith- I am curious whether or not you have substituted plain table sugar for the turbinado or if you are looking to use the turbinado for potential flavor contributions?

I have my ingredients in the mail coming in tomorrow- excited to try this out. BRGriffith- I am curious whether or not you have substituted plain table sugar for the turbinado or if you are looking to use the turbinado for potential flavor contributions?

I haven't tried table sugar yet, but I think it would be worth a go. You're right, I've been using turbinado because it's a more flavorful sugar when tasted side by side. I'm not sure how much of that flavor actually carries over to the beer, especially dry hopped this much. If you try table sugar let us know how it turns out!

I haven't tried table sugar yet, but I think it would be worth a go. You're right, I've been using turbinado because it's a more flavorful sugar when tasted side by side. I'm not sure how much of that flavor actually carries over to the beer, especially dry hopped this much. If you try table sugar let us know how it turns out!
So just dry hopped the batch. Been about 24 hours and fermentation still going well. I dry hopped with 3 oz mosaic and 4 oz citra. I used a hop cartridge and have read you lose some efficiency using it so i upped by 1 oz and have periodically been swirling the fermentor to make sure all of the hops are exposed.
Also, i got a little carried away with this idea of brewing........ and i just made another batch lol - 3#pilsner, 3# Bavarian wheat, 2 # sugar... and curious for some ideas on dry hop- i have 3oz mosaic, 3oz amarillo, 4 oz citra, and 2 oz galaxy left in the freezer.
What combo should i dry hop with???

So just dry hopped the batch. Been about 24 hours and fermentation still going well. I dry hopped with 3 oz mosaic and 4 oz citra. I used a hop cartridge and have read you lose some efficiency using it so i upped by 1 oz and have periodically been swirling the fermentor to make sure all of the hops are exposed.
Also, i got a little carried away with this idea of brewing........ and i just made another batch lol - 3#pilsner, 3# Bavarian wheat, 2 # sugar... and curious for some ideas on dry hop- i have 3oz mosaic, 3oz amarillo, 4 oz citra, and 2 oz galaxy left in the freezer.
What combo should i dry hop with???
Go easy on Galaxy, Citra Galaxy is a famous combo but im sure some amarillo would be great in it as well..
I tried Mosaic Galaxy but didn't like it as much.

Go easy on Galaxy, Citra Galaxy is a famous combo but im sure some amarillo would be great in it as well..
I tried Mosaic Galaxy but didn't like it as much.
What do you think about 2 oz galaxy 3 oz citra and 3 amarillo? Or cut down to 1 oz galaxy?

A quick update- I made two batches using this method

1st batch: 6# Wheat DME 2# sugar
Dry hopped with 4oz Citra 3 oz Mosaic (in dry hop cartridge)@ 24hours for 7 days. Still carbonating in the keg but tastes fantastic of tangerine, orange, fruity citrus and like you mentioned there is a perceived bitterness there- I can tell this will be a good beer. Thanks OP for this!

2nd batch: 3# pilsner DME, 3# Bavarian wheat DME, 2# sugar
Dry hopped with 3oz Citra, 3oz Amarillo, 1 oz Galaxy (thrown in loose)@ 24 hours for 7 days. Still carbonating in keg. This beer has the most intense catty flavor/aroma I've ever tasted/smelled haha! Cat litter bomb. With all other variables the same or very similar it seems Citra/Amarillo may not be a combo I like very much. I'm thinking that the hop cartridge I used may have toned down some of the flavor/aroma as well- So this will be another experiment for the future.

Anyways, thanks BRGriffith for the recipe and looking forward to drinking this beer!

Brewed one of these last night. Full mash:

4.5 gallon batch
6.5 lb 2-row
2 lb white wheat malt
6 oz Honey malt

Brought it up to 165 after the mash and steeped 2 oz Columbus for 30 min before chilling. Hoping I get a bit of perceived bitterness from that. Pitched 1318.

Going to DH with:
3 oz Citra
2 oz Mosaic
1 oz Galaxy

Pretty curious to see how this turns out.

Anyone else try this DME no boil recipe? My wife loves this style and she loves the idea of almost zero time and effort. Almost seems too good to be true!

Anyone else try this DME no boil recipe? My wife loves this style and she loves the idea of almost zero time and effort. Almost seems too good to be true!

Have you read through some of the recent posts? I recently did two batches- one similar to the OP however made into a 6 gal batch so lost some ABV- it came out great like he described with great tangerine flavors.
The second batch I made also came out fantastic and I would recommend trying as well. Its a pineapple all the way and it very refreshing. 3# pilsner DME, 3# Bavarian wheat DME, 2# sugar
Dry hopped with 3oz Citra, 3oz Amarillo, 1 oz Galaxy (thrown in loose)@ 24 hours for 7 days. I had previously mentioned it was catty but I never updated- that aroma faded after 2 days and now is a fantastic beer.

Have you read through some of the recent posts? I recently did two batches- one similar to the OP however made into a 6 gal batch so lost some ABV- it came out great like he described with great tangerine flavors.
The second batch I made also came out fantastic and I would recommend trying as well. Its a pineapple all the way and it very refreshing. 3# pilsner DME, 3# Bavarian wheat DME, 2# sugar
Dry hopped with 3oz Citra, 3oz Amarillo, 1 oz Galaxy (thrown in loose)@ 24 hours for 7 days. I had previously mentioned it was catty but I never updated- that aroma faded after 2 days and now is a fantastic beer.
I did see your posts and thanks for the update on the second batch. So do you bring the dme wort up to a certain temp to sanitize or do you just dump room temp water and dme/sugar into fermenter and then add yeast?

I did see your posts and thanks for the update on the second batch. So do you bring the dme wort up to a certain temp to sanitize or do you just dump room temp water and dme/sugar into fermenter and then add yeast?
I just made sure to sanitize everything well, mixed everything in, and pitched the yeast. I wanted to see if doing this method could work and it worked quite well for me

I gave this recipe a try, though I modified it in that I did only a 3 gallon batch, utilizing 2lb of DME and 0.5lb of dissolved piloncillo sugar to achieve an OG of 1.036; I enjoy lighter ABV beers so I wanted something in the 4% range and this finished out at 4.2%. My hops were Strata and Idaho Gem, 2oz of each. I used S-04 to ferment.

When I bottled this, the room temperature wort had a definite cider-like aroma and taste that wasn't very pleasant, to the point where I considered dumping it. I continued anyway and after a week in the bottle the cider character is gone, thankfully. The body is a bit thin and the head retention is fairly poor, though this is likely a product of the reduced DME. The hop character is pretty good, definite fruit and dank character for me, but the aroma and flavor is not as profound as I'd hoped for. Overall, the version I made is okay, but it needs improvement.

Moving forward for another try, I would either ramp up the OG to around 1.050 or, if keeping the OG in the lower end, I would use a higher ratio of DME to sugar, say 2.5lb of DME to 0.25lb of sugar. My inclination is to cold steep some sort of crystal malt, like a Carawheat, and replace the sugar with that liquid, but that then defeats the purpose of the 10 minute "brewing" that really intrigued me about this. Thanks for the great idea.

I think the heading of this thread is not really accurate.
I don't think this is blasphemy at all. Actually NEIPA is likely the easiest style to make no-boil because NEIPAs are a super easy style to make due to the fact that if you cram enough hops in them, you can't taste the mediocre-at-best base beer.

Maybe something like a chocolate or coffee stout would also be an easy no-boil.

Bottom line, any beer where the base beer is irrelevant due to massive flavoring additions would make a good no-boil.

OP, can you give me a little more information about the process? You are not boiling the DME, so what temp are you bringing it up to? For how long? I've really gotten into the juicy styles lately but the recipes are so complex and expensive (one I looked at was so hop-heavy it was $37 in hops alone). This looks very straight forward but I don't have a handle on the process. I started with extracts but am now down 3 batches of all-grain, so I should be able to handle just about anything you can throw at me, though my understanding is this will be more simple than AG.

Thanks in advance!

So I'm going to make this soon. My planned process:

1. Bring wort (water + dissolved DME) to 175F in my Robobrew and hold for 20 minutes while whirlpooling hops.
2. Chill to 65F and ferment with S04, adding dry hops on day 2 or 3.
3. Cold crash, transfer to keg, carbonate.

So I'm going to make this soon. My planned process:

1. Bring wort (water + dissolved DME) to 175F in my Robobrew and hold for 20 minutes while whirlpooling hops.
2. Chill to 65F and ferment with S04, adding dry hops on day 2 or 3.
3. Cold crash, transfer to keg, carbonate.

The only thing I would say is 175°F is getting quite close to the temperature where DMS can occur more rapidly. Any reason for that number? 165°F would be safer and is still well above pasteurization temperature. Check this out:

http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Dimethyl_Sulfide#Short_Boils_and_Raw_Ale

Last edited:
Dms in dme, c'mon man :)

Btw, I have theorized, granted only theory, that dme has absolutely nothing to gain when boiled.

Trying to envision whether or not I'm going to be able to gravity transfer this out of my SS Brew Bucket without clogging the hell out of the keg poppet with hop debris. Looking at about 2 oz. in the whirlpool and 6 oz. dry hop. Obviously since it's DME, there will be less trub and S04 tends to flocc hard. Still a bit worried I'm going to have to siphon it.

Is DMS an issue with DME? It was my understanding that since the wort used to produce DME was already boiled, the potential for DMS was greatly reduced.
Dms in dme, c'mon man :)

Btw, I have theorized, granted only theory, that dme has absolutely nothing to gain when boiled.
:drunk:. My apologies gents. I did a full mash and my head was in that space, hence my irrelevant comments. Carry on!

Deadwolfbones, no hop spider?

I have two smaller cylindrical ones I could use in the fermenter and I could use my BIAB bag for the whirlpool. But I've read that the extraction is worse in a contained space. Also don't think I could get 6oz in those sealed cylindrical ones.

So I brewed this on Saturday and it already appears to be at FG (1.064 to 1.016—BS predicted 1.018). Tastes great, though very bitter because of all the hop particulate in suspension. Very juicy.

Very bitter because of all the hop particulate in suspension.

Did you make any changes to the original recipe? I was thinking to brew this because I like NEIPAs but I don't like IPAs (NEIPAs end up being way less bitter, the bitterness is what turns me off IPAs). Do you think there would be a way to make this recipe and avoid the bitterness? I thought adding hops only as dryhopping or even whirlpool would really cut down on bitterness. Perhaps fining with gelatin before racking to the keg might help?

Did you make any changes to the original recipe? I was thinking to brew this because I like NEIPAs but I don't like IPAs (NEIPAs end up being way less bitter, the bitterness is what turns me off IPAs). Do you think there would be a way to make this recipe and avoid the bitterness? I thought adding hops only as dryhopping or even whirlpool would really cut down on bitterness. Perhaps fining with gelatin before racking to the keg might help?

Well, this was literally a sample taken during active fermentation from the spigot on the bucket (so the bottom of the bucket, where the hops/trub/yeast are). Not representative of what the final product will be like. I'll get back to you once it's kegged up and carbed. ;)

Awesome, excited to see how it turns out. If I could get a juicy NEIPA on tap with all that beautiful hop flavor and aroma but less IBUs, I'll be super happy.

Back