blackberry preserve use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

regulatedhobbyist

Reaction score
I was thinking. Dangerous I know. However, I have a blackberry melomel that has cleared. I sampled it and it tastes extremely weak of blackberries. My wife hates it. I was thinking it might be better to add some blackberries and impart more flavor. Somewhere I read someone had used blackberry preserves added to secondary. Would this work? What are some drawbacks to using it? If it would work, how much should I use for a (more like 3/4) gallon batch? How long?

Pectins would be my concern. Pectic enzyme is often added to mead to break down the pectins. I've never made preserves, but aren't they cooked to set pectins or have pectins added?

Since it's already clear, adding some fruit juice might be quicker than adding more blackberries. You may not be able to get blackberry juice, but how about a complimentary fruit? Maybe some blueberry juice for a "black 'n blue" mead.

wines from jams/jellies/preserves are indeed possible, but you need to work out how much you're likely to need per gallon, then mix them into water and the hit the mix with quite a lot of pectolase.

Obviously, jams/jellies/preserves have been heated and contain either just the pectin from the fruit, or have extra pectin added during the making process....

That sures it up. i'm just gonna use the actual fruit. couldn't hurt, and I'll be able to remove some of the headspace. thanks guys!

Back