Blackberries in sour beer, anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetcell

Protruding Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
dear hivemind,

does anyone have experience adding blackberries to a standard sour blond? any suggestions on quantity, other than the standard 1-2 lbs/gal? any tips, things to avoid, etc with the blackberry?

ripe wild blackberries are everywhere here in the Cascades so i'm picking them now, freezing them, and will be racking a sour beer on top of them once the beer is ready for fruiting.

either BYO or Zymergy had an article a while back with suggested fruiting rates (by @oldsock ???), but i can't find the article for the life of me. i'd love to read what their suggested lbs/gal is.

(folks in the Seattle area: come to North Bend if you want to get your fill of free blackberries. they are literally growing on the side of the road, everywhere. PM if you want some spots to check out.)

blackberries1.jpg

blackberries2.jpg

blackberries3.jpg

Those look so good! I don't have any experience myself sorry, but I do have questions :) have you considered making a purée so you could strain out seeds/solids? This would also give you the benefit of a more accurate dosing regime.

I made a 3.5 gallon batch of a sour Belgian wit beer aged on 3lbs of blackberries that turned out amazing. Two suggestions I have are when racking, I ordered some large tea bags to slip over the end of the racking cane so the blackberries don't clog it plus it keeps the particles out of my kegs. Also I always add some pectic enzyme to help with the cloudiness in the finished product.

Latest posts

Back