Quantcast

Black sediment in primary

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Ian DSouza

Reaction score
I have been brewing a sugar solution the past 10 days. There is a black sediment at the bottom. Here are some photos: https://imgur.com/a/bi7XVGw . Has anyone experienced something similar? Is it safe to drink?

IslandLizard

Progressive Brewing
Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure what that is, could it be from the sugar, the yeast? Or perhaps anything else you added?
Did you run your water through a carbon filter prior to using?

Just water, sugar and yeast? Anything else in there?
What exactly is that going to be? Alcoholic water without any flavoring or body?

OP
I

Ian DSouza

Reaction score
Yes, just the three ingredients - water, sugar, yeast. It was my first "brew". I wanted a proof of concept that I could brew with the equipment I have. I'll move into beer making soon.

I didn't run the water through a carbon filter. I suspect now it might be some sediment in the sugar. I just drank it and it upset my stomach a tiny bit but was otherwise fine.

RM-MN

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
if you added heat to make the sugar dissolve faster you may have scorched a bit of the sugar.

nickatnite26

Reaction score
Did you sanitize your bottles and equipment? That’s looks a bit like mold. I have had something similar happen with beer in bottles that were not completely sanitized.

OP
I

Ian DSouza

Reaction score
if you added heat to make the sugar dissolve faster you may have scorched a bit of the sugar.
Nope. I didn't heat it. However, it could be sediment that was already in the sugar.

Did you sanitize your bottles and equipment? That’s looks a bit like mold. I have had something similar happen with beer in bottles that were not completely sanitized.
I was a little worried about it being mold as well. I did not sanitize it mostly because I used the bottle immediately after I emptied the contents.