Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I finally had a black IPA while in Austin. Awesome! So now it's time to make a recipe for next month's order...

I've only looked at one BIPA on the recipe section, and found Darth Vader BIPA by Scooby Brew. Sounds great to me, although I've slightly modified it. It's listed as having a 38 SRM, and it comes out as 32 on hopville so I added 4 oz of Briess chocolate 350 to bring it up to 36, and dropped a pound of LME for a pound of Bavarian wheat DME. I'd also use WLP 001 in place of US-05 (same?).

But I'm also looking at changing up the hops schedule as I'm uncertain about a roasty taste with citrusy hops. I currently have some Columbus and Warrior on hand, but order from MoreBeer.

I've never tried to steep so many grains, and am considering how I'd go about that as I typically use a 4-5 qt pot for steeping and dump it in my 5 gal brew pot. It can't handle much more than ~ 1 1/2 lbs of grains at once. Maybe do it in portions?

I also have a 2 gal water jug I've tried to do a mini mash in (unsuccessfully, though it ought to work for 30 mins instead of 60).

I could just steep it in my brew pot I suppose...

I love a roasty taste, but want the hops to be noticed. The only IPA's I haven't cared for are the ones light in hop taste or Big Sky's version. I also love a deep dark black color (it scares most away!).

Would adding the 4 oz of chocolate disrupt what I'm hoping will be a nice roasty taste (5 1/2 gal)?

Here's my 5 1/2 gal version so far:
7 lbs Briess pilsen LME
1 lb Briess Bavarian wheat DME
1 lb crystal 10
1 lb Carafa II Special (dehusked)
1/2 lb Special Roast
1/4 lb Briess chocolate 350
1/4 lb Briess extra light DME (starter)
WLP 001

Could you steep the grains in your 5 gal brew pot, then strain the wort into your 2 gal beverage jug until you clean your brew pot to start your boil? 2 gallons should be able to handle that many grains (8qts for 2.75 lbs grain = 2.9 qts/lb ratio). I imagine doing it that way you could add an extra lb of specialty grains and still be fine.

I did about the same amount of grain for my first brew in a 5 gallon pot and had no issues. Started w 3 gallons for the steep... added the remaining 2 gallons at cooldown (needed a bit more as I didn't think to take into account the boiloff and the amt. lost in the steep bag etc.) Looking back I was at about 3 lbs of grain. So you are a bit higher than that... I do know the bag was maxed out...so i've bought another bag for use in the future.

For my big grain steeps, I did just what you described. Steep in my BK, transfer to another container and then transfer back to the BK, adding water as needed. Portions makes things more difficult, IMO, and you'll get more even temps with a larger amount of grains.

As for your hops, I've tasted a number of BIPA's (been one of my fav's for a few years now) and I've seen almost everything done to them. From traditional English style hopping, classic West Coast pale hopping to experimental stuff, like bourboning, chocolate and even a port wine barrel age. Heck, it wasn't even a recognized style before two years ago, so there's still a lot of room for experimentation! I'd say as long as you reasonably follow the traditional uses of hops (bittering, aroma, flavor), you'll probably be all right and it might turn out super interesting. As for chocolate, I was mixed on the one I tasted...but it wasn't entirely out of place. I'd say go traditional and maybe experiment later if you love the style.

"Could you steep the grains in your 5 gal brew pot, then strain the wort into your 2 gal beverage jug until you clean your brew pot to start your boil?"

I wouldn't clean out the pot as I'd use muslin sacks. Any reason to? Typically I steep in another pot, and once done I pour all of it into my BK, and place the bag in a strainer and pour water zapped in the microwave as a sort of sparge (2 pint glasses), and then press with the base of the cup to squeeze out the trapped wort.

I would have thought that that much Special Roast would have been overboard.

If I ought to leave behind the idea of using dark chocolate malt, what should I use to bring up the SRM several points? I'm thinking of checking out some porters and possibly blending this recipe with what I see...

I'm still uncertain as to type of hops to use. Piney or citrusy just seems kinda strange to pair with roasty. But I don't know.

Back