Black IPA rant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayaBrew

Reaction score
Not so much a rant, but I tried my first "official" Black IPA today, and I don't get what all the fuss is about. It's literally a black effing IPA. You can't really pick up the roasted grain because they're hidden by the hops. Cripes, just brew a regular-ass IPA and shut up!

I'm of the opinion that there should be noticeable roast in there. My ideal Black IPA experience goes like this:

Aroma: pretty much all hops; mostly the Northwestern kind; keep sniffing and you *might* get some roast
Flavor: first thing to hit you is the hops for just a sec; then the roast kicks in and fades slowly to a lasting bitterness

Black IPA or really hoppy stout/porter? I don't care for it either way. Total "Meh" style. :D

Yeah but overly hoppy regular stouts are nasty any way and totally detract from what a stout is all about. Unless it's an RIS I don't like stouts hoppy at all. talking of Black IPA's is there such a thing as Black Barleywine?

The only Black IPA I have tried was from Widmer...I think. I was in Vegas, so memories are vague. I recall thinking, "Wow. That tastes like an IPA...wait...there's a bit of roast at the end...I think...maybe I'm imagining that since it's black...no, there is definitely a bit of roast there..."

Yeah, my thoughts have lots of periods.

Sierra Nevada released one for their 30th series.

funny story, i didn't read much about the 30th series, i just heard about the 30th black barleywine. so i saw a bomber of Sierra Nevada 30th at the grocery store, i assumed it was the barleywine and bought it. i didn't know there was more "30th" beers, lol

turns out, it's the imperial helles. not that i'm complaining, but i'd really like to try that barleywine....

yeah I've got my gripes with "black IPA" too. Hey, you can taste a tiny bit of roasted barley!!!! WOW!

I'm waiting for the black hefeweizen, black berliner weisse, black czech pils, black witbier, black tripel, followed of course by "bud light lime black"

I'm all for experimenting! But creating a BJCP style guideline on 2oz of de-bittered carafa? That's an experiment, not a style.

BTW I had the 30th black barleywine and it was pretty good. Slight roast, LOTS of toffee/caramel and raisiny flavors. It tasted like they used some kettle caramelization too but who knows :)

It's not a "Black IPA" it's a "Cascadian Dark Ale". Gotta give props to the region that created the style!

(forgive me, I couldn't help it! ;)

Anyway, I brewed up a very hoppy stout last year and there was plenty of both hops and roasty malt. I loved it. Only problem with it was it was a bit strong. Ok, not so much a "problem"...

I used 1# of dehusked black (aka carafa special) in mine and the roast wasn't prominent enough for me. Everything else was great though. Going for 1.5# in the new recipe.

It's not a "Black IPA" it's a "Cascadian Dark Ale". Gotta give props to the region that created the style!

(forgive me, I couldn't help it! ;)

Anyway, I brewed up a very hoppy stout last year and there was plenty of both hops and roasty malt. I loved it. Only problem with it was it was a bit strong. Ok, not so much a "problem"...

Except that region didn't create the style.

Look, all I'm saying is "What's the big deal". Unless there's enough roasted grain in there to taste it a little, then what's the point? If I was blindfolded and tasted the Black IPA that I had, I'd say "Darn, that's a great IPA!" But nothing about it besides the color suggested that it was anything other than a great IPA.

That being said, I have an India Brown Ale that I brewed about a month ago that I'm bottling tonight. Hopefully it's not just a "Brown IPA"!;)

Back