Black Granite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bad thing about enamel is that it cracks and cracks can harbor bacteria. However since you are planning to use it for the boil, I'd think you will be okay.

i know people who use enameled cookware for brewing. just inspect for bubbling or cracks in the enamel from time to time and be prepared to replace it eventually

If the enamel does chip/crack and it's exposed to wort it can result in metallic off-flavors in your beer. That said, I used one way back when I started brewing. As long as the enamel is in good shape you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

For a similar price you can probably get a nice aluminum pot that will not crack or chip and will make good beer. Get one that is at least 20 qts. Bigger is better if you have the room.

I have been making it with my turkey fryer with 30qt pot. Its cold outside and I want to make some on the stove top. I found a 16 qt stainless that I may get for the stove top cooking.

Absolutely you can. I have a 20-qt and a 33 I've been using for several years each.
As others said, you do have to be a bit careful with them - no tossing around - but they work perfectly well. I know I'll have to replace it eventually, but for the price you can't beat them.
If youhave a Bed Bath & Beyond in you area, also watch for the 20% off one item coupons they always send out and you can get it way cheaper.

My wife has about 100 of the 20% off at Bed Bath and Beyond. They will take them even if they are expired.

I too have a graniteware pot, I dropped it and chipped the enamel in the inside bottom surface. The spot is smaller than a dime, and the steel rusts in between uses. I use steel wool and scrub the rust out, rinse, make beer. I have not had any metallic off flavors yet, but thats just me, it could happen anytime. I am getting away from using that pot.

Back