Black currants in a stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillsrob

Reaction score
Tonight I just kegged a batch of black currant oatmeal stout. I feel the need to share the results. It was amazing. Top two or three stouts I’ve had.
Has anyone used black currant in stout before here?
Here’s the grains/hops I used. It’s not in the fancy style of beersmith or brew target but you should all try it out

4.54kg 2row
500g crystal 40
500g chocolate malt or carafa special II
500g flaked oat
200g roasted barley
56g willamette hops
28g chinook
1 pack Nottingham yeast

The willamette was 42gram at 60 minute
14g chinook at 5 minute
Then 14 each of willamette and chinook st flameout.
Black currant purée was added 5 minute left in boil to sterilize
Fermented in primary for 2 weeks on Nottingham yeast and kegged.

The best I can. It’s got that classic oatmeal stout feel. Creamy and balance by some almost Smokey and fairly strong chocolate and coffee. But then the funky, sour flavour from the currants sneaks in. Black currants flavour is hard to describe. It’s one of them tastes you just gotta try. Funky is the word really. But those two flavours are rounded out by a light bitterness and very subtle flavour form the hops

I used a quart sized mason jar worth of purée. I picked probably 4-5 cups of currents and just put them in the food processor till it was puréed

Great idea. Sadly Black Currents are not local to me, but Vintner's Harvest make a puree. Might give it a go in Baltic Porter. Seems like it might be a good match.

Guinnes mixed with ribena is frequently sold at pubs, so I would say that black currant and stout is a well established mix! Sounds like you nailed it with yours, congratulations!

Guinnes mixed with ribena is frequently sold at pubs, so I would say that black currant and stout is a well established mix! Sounds like you nailed it with yours, congratulations!
Thanks! I think I did a pretty good job haha. As does my family, we were legit talking about this tonight. Reminiscing about it almost two years later. I’m going to pick some tomorrow and try to do it again

Thanks! I think I did a pretty good job haha. As does my family, we were legit talking about this tonight. Reminiscing about it almost two years later. I’m going to pick some tomorrow and try to do it again
Haha! That's awesome. Totally didnt notice it was a necro post i replied to, but Serendipitous that it was fresh on your mind again!

Back