Black and white things in air lock water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sungari

Reaction score
I used a kit wine making. Primary secondary as well as clarifying stage is done. Wine was aging for a month. I used the water in sanitized airlock. Saw a black think and some cloudy things in airlock water after a month. Is this mold ? Is the wine batch is ruined? Please help !!!!

image-2390706396.jpg

image-776185287.jpg

I put vodka in my airlock. Swimmies don't like vodka.

It doesn't look like mold to me.

How does the top of the wine look?

How long have you been making wine?

It's fine. The airlock did it's job and kept stuff out of your wine, but I would definitely remove it and replace it with a clean and sanitized one when I see stuff growing! You can use sanitizer, vodka, or water in your airlock- just check on them once in a while and if you see something in them (I get fruitflies in the fall), replace with a clean and sanitized airlock.

Top of the wine looks fine. This is my 3 batch and i am making mead for sometime but I never seen this kind of stuff earlier. I have seen fruit flies earlier in summer. Maybe some of the wine Evaporates. It might explains the cloudiness but the black stuff I am not sure. What u think?

Top of the wine looks fine. This is my 3 batch and i am making mead for sometime but I never seen this kind of stuff earlier. I have seen fruit flies earlier in summer. Maybe some of the wine Evaporates. It might explains the cloudiness but the black stuff I am not sure. What u think?

The wine doesn't evaporate through the airlock. Mold or mildew or something took a liking to the water in the airlock, and grew there.

So if its mold then is there any possibility of infection in wine? The batch is ruined?

Is there anything wrong with using Kentucky Deluxe in the airlock? It's what I have and neither I or the ol lady drink it.

Back