Black and Tan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baer19d

Reaction score
So I own a craft brewery in Hendersonville, NC and we have been pouring black and tans (half and half) with my pale ale and stout, not nitro stout, but now they won't layer. It's very possible that the stout is a new batch but I'm not certain.Even if it is a new batch it tastes the same. Any suggestions as to why it's not layering any more? I figured I'd ask the homebrew community since you're often better at figuring out issues.

Cheers, Mike

Correct. I has never worked with the nitro stout which also surprised me. I did confirm that the current stout is a new batch but nothing was intentionally nor accidentally changed that I am aware of.

The density difference is what drives the layering, or more precisely the lack of diffusion. Nitro can do it more easily, but the alternative is to adjust your carb levels accordingly. When doing it from bottles, I often stir the lager to degas it a bit so it is more dense and the layer line sets up clean.

For your case, check your carb levels via supply pressure and temp and adjust accordingly - should do the trick.

The density difference is what drives the layering, or more precisely the lack of diffusion. Nitro can do it more easily, but the alternative is to adjust your carb levels accordingly. When doing it from bottles, I often stir the lager to degas it a bit so it is more dense and the layer line sets up clean.

For your case, check your carb levels via supply pressure and temp and adjust accordingly - should do the trick.

Agree

Back