Bitter tasting wine from Welches grape juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geode

Reaction score
I had my first batch of Welches Concord w wine and got pretty drunk off of a cup of it. The problem is that it has a bitter aftertaste. It is not sour. It tastes perfect except it has a shark, bitter finish like arugula, kale, or something like that. I still have more of it left, and I want to drink it without the bitter finish. My process was to get a 64 ounce bottle of grape juice, pour me a cup and a half of it, put a cup and a half of sugar in, wait for that to dissolve, I had a quarter teaspoon per your Blankey, and a quarter teaspoon of yeast nutrient.I then waited for two weeks and wrecked it. Then, I tried to carbonate it by adding some more sugar, but it would not Carmine so I gave up on that. The alcohol content is probably too hot for the yeast to do anything else. So what can I do in future, and what can I do now , amd What can I do my current batch? not

First- sober up. Just Kidding :no:

It will mellow but you’re probably trying to drink it too young. Wine takes a while, so give it space and have patience. Get more going so in the future you can be more patient.

I don’t understand about how you were trying to carbonate it....

Wine is months, not weeks. You can make wine in weeks, but in general it needs more time.

I tried to carbonate it by adding a tiny pinch of yeast and 2 tablespoons of sugar to the bottle and then putting the cap on the bottle and completely ceiling it tight. The bottle did get firmer, but I waited for over a week, and it did not carbonate. Waiting for it to age might be fine for some people, but I want to drink it now. If I want to drink it now, is there anything else I can do other than wrapping my tongue in foil every time I want to drink it?

It will mellow but you’re probably trying to drink it too young. Wine takes a while, so give it space and have patience. Get more going so in the future you can be more patient.

Wine is months, not weeks. You can make wine in weeks, but in general it needs more time.

I carbonated it by adding 2 tablespoons of sugar and a pinch of used to the bottle after it was finished and then tightly capping it. I waited for a week and the bottle got a bit firmer, but it never carbonated.I know you are supposed to age it, but I want to drink it now. Is there anything else I can do other than wrapping my tongue in foil?

Waiting for it to age might be fine for some people, but I want to drink it now. If I want to drink it now, is there anything else I can do other than wrapping my tongue in foil every time I want to drink it?

You're either
A. Incarcerated
B. 15 years old

Just pinch your nose and guzzle that nasty shark mess.

I’m not a wine expert, but doesnt the wine yeast usually go until it hits the alcohol tolerance almost? That may be the reason your wine didnt carb....

Would that taste weird? I am usually not wanna use. I was just given some of it, but I am much more excited about my orange spice wine and apple cranberry wine I have going. But I figured I would never drink this otherwise, so I might as well turn it into wine. Do you think adding Splenda would help like I could pour myself a cup and then add Splenda to the cup for example. I was thinking of this instead of sugar because it dissolves more easily and it is sweeter. But then it might be sweeter, yet still with a bitter finish. But I really like this one because it did not make me feel bad or give me a headache. I did not add any chemicals to it because I don't plan to keep it around for a long time. I don't know if sulfides cause headaches, but I normally get a headache with drinking and I have to take ibuprofen before I go to bed, but this time, I did not do that, I slept great, and I felt really great when I woke up. Taking ibuprofen with alcohol is actually bit dangerous because it can tear your stomach lining if you do it too often. This one is high like around 16%, so I was sure it would give me a headache. My tongue even felt numb from drinking it. And also, I am not talking about the foxy taste of the great use. While that is mildly annoying because I am not the most fond of grape juice, I'm talking about this short aftertaste that is different. I know that I don't like tanning taste, so I did not add any tenants. I added nothing but the sugar, yeast, and yeast nutrient. This particular yeast is good. It does not sit in the wind. Any extra get out of the bottle. Many websites I read said to be careful not to screw up the sentiment, can't really be disturbed that easily. I don't Think. I am stuck now. I have another one that is basically ready. That is the apple cranberry one but it is not wrapped yet. Racking is kind of complicated for me because I am not that good at using the auto siphon. My auto siphon it came with the racking cane and tubing, but my problem is that the tubing will not plug-in to the siphon and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. The first time I wrecked, I had to use this complicated method to get it started and just use the tube, which was really hard. It also came with a clamp, and I am assuming that I'm supposed to use that somehow to tell it to stop, but I haven't gotten that far yet. I just made sure that when I was racking into another container, that it would be big enough so I would not have to stop it. I don't know what I did wrong. All I know is that the wine definitely has a lot of alcohol and that is not dangerous because it did not make me feel sick or anything. It actually made me feel really good. I heard that the yeast on the bottom is very nutritious. I wonder if it is safe to eat it? I know that it probably wouldn't taste very good, but if you just swallowed it really fast, you could get a lot of nutrition and antioxidants. I know it can definitely import a bad flavor, so I got it out to the best of my ability. This is not a yeasty flavor though. This is just a bitter aftertaste.
Mix 50/50 with Coke.
Instant carbonation, and it might help with the shark ;)

TLDR

It's called a kalimotxo. Rather popular in Spain.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalimotxo
In Germany they call it 'Kalte Muschi', the first word means 'cold' and the second word is kind of a double entendre referring to both a feline and a rather crude name for women's genitalia.
km_products_6pack_rot.png

Back