Bitter hop choices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louisbrew

Reaction score
Does it really matter what hop varietal you use for buttering? Since you are going for buttering vs flavor or aroma with 60 or 90 minute additions can't you use the cheapest option available?

Oh autocorrect. Yea, typically people go for the cheapest alpha acids they can buy (I use bravo, myself), however certain hops have lots of cohumulone which is largely responsible (among other things) for a harsh bitterness. You want to make sure your bittering hops don't harsh your beer too much unless that's what you're going for. Also, there are certain times when using a lot of hops is desired- using a ton of low alpha hops early in the boil can give you a nice lush sort of tannic quality to a historic style porter or stout. There are lots of exceptions, but in general, yea, it doesn't much matter what bittering hops you use.

Daksin stole my thunder. Every last bit of it. Anyway, I use the cheapest/strongest/least-cohumuloney I can find for the reasons you suggested. My amateurish research reveals that hop pellets absorb about 6x their weight in water, so every 2oz of hops you trim is a beer saved. You can get 1lb of Columbus, Bravo or Millenium from www.YakimaValleyHops.com for $8 plus shipping if you want to buy in bulk. You can just buy a bunch of a high-alpha hop you like for flavor and use it for bittering as well.

I've made a few batches (including a DIPA) with Super Galena's for bittering (I have a friend who grows them commercially, so free hops) and they've come out nicely despite it not being a particularly interesting hop. It's my impression that whatever small hop character you get out of the bittering hops is pretty much eclipsed by your flavor/aroma varietals. I would think the only time it really matters is as daksin said if you're going for the large quantities of low AA hops vibe.

Back