Biscut and Chocolate Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PFlint

Reaction score
I've been thinking about making something low gravity and malty for my next batch. Kind of along the lines of a Mild or 60/- ale but not limited to trying to dupicate these styles. My question is how much is enough with Biscut or Chocolate Malt? I was think about using about a quarter pound of both as well as a half pound of dark crystal malt. Will this get me about where I want to be? Tenitively my recipe is:
3 lbs Light DME
2 lbs 2 row Barely Malt
.5 lbs Crystal Malt 90L
.25 lbs Chocolate Malt
.25 lbs Biscut Malt
.25 oz Magnum 60 min
.5 Willamette 30 min
I'm expecting farly low % yield from the grains. Also planning to use a clean american yeast because I want the malt to stand above anything else. Any thoughts?

I would use a Crystal 40L and maybe only 1/4 lb., the 90L is too dark for a mild. Looks good otherwise.

Looks good to me. It just really depends how dark you want. This formula will come in at 33 HCU That's going to be pretty dark. More like a porter. I assume you're steeping your grains at around 155 or so and doing a full boil. You should end up with and OG of around 1.036 and 19 IBU.

You can use this free site to verify what you're going to get:

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator

Back