American IPA Big Piney (All Grain)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balph_Eubank

Reaction score
Big Piney

The goal was to create a refreshing, sessionable IPA with a hop selection that would highlight the "piney" notes. To keep the beer light and refreshing, no crystal malt was used in the grain bill. To increase complexity light munich was added instead. An infusion mash was conducted at 152 F to help lighten the body.

After some research, simcoe and chinook were selected as the hop varietals with the most pine character. Northern Brewer was used for bittering and also in the hopstand but not in the dry hop as general opinion seemed to regard this hop as less piney than the others. The boil addition was minimized to emphasize aroma over bitterness. Aroma hops were added in a hopstand and the wort was also dry-hopped.

American yeast was used for a clean dry fermentation character.

The end result was a refreshing session ale with a nice, resinous hop flavor. The pine character came through but not as massively as I'd hoped. That said, I don't think I'd make any tweaks on a re-brew.

Grain Bill:
9 lbs american pale ale malt
1 lbs light munich

Infusion Mash 60 min @152 F

Boil 60 min
1 oz Northern Brewer @ 60 min

Hopstand 30 min
1 oz Northern Brewer
2 oz Chinook
2 oz Simcoe

Dry hop once primary fermentation tails off but before primary fermentation is complete:
1 oz Simcoe
1 oz Chinook

Fermentation target 68 F
Wyeast 1056 Chico

20170305_190756.jpg

I love how this recipe looks, might try it out over the summer. This is for a 5 gallon setup, i'm assuming?

Back