Big mouth bubblers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalc6927

Reaction score
Anybody using these as primary or secondary fermenters?

They look like much easier to clean and to transfer from than glass carboys

Thanks

I have one. I like the big mouth, but do not like how the sides have ridges and little bumps- this makes them difficult to clean. I also had a tough time with the lid, but I believe they are using a better lid now.
If you are looking for a PET with a large mouth, I recommend checking out those 7G FerMonsters. I really like the ones that I have.

I would advise against the big mouth bubblers for fermenting. To put it bluntly, the lids still suck. Even with nothing in them, the lid doesn't seem to want to stay on. Flipping the seal upside down and re-installing it helps, but not enough to use, unless you put a brick on the lid to hold it down in place. I got mine for free and I won't use it. The only time I can see using it is for secondary fermentation sitting on oak cubes or something. Nothing where there is any kind of pressure under the lid.

Do the lids on the 7g screw on and off?

Looks good same price

Thanks

I love them. I've had 6 them for a year or two and I'd buy them again.

_mg_1184-66367.jpg

The new ones are all pop off lids. They eliminated the screw on lids. If you can find them with screw on lids then my original opinion is null and void. My opinion applies only to the new lids

I have the plastic ones and I think they're great, 6.5 gallon for primary and as soon as the yeasts clean up their mess I switch it to the 5 gallon BMB for less headspace, then two weeks later I'll cold crash it and off to the keg.

I have the screw on lids I use the double bung lid on primary with two airlocks I can get my wort thief in and if fermentation goes crazy I switch quickly to blow off tube. I've never used the FerMonsters so I can't comment on those, they look good and don't have the reinforced structural texture thing that makes the bigmouth harder to clean. The ones I'm talking about look like the picture above but my lids are flat and white with the dark blue fastening ring not the recessed ones pictured in light blue above. I think those pictured above are newer they look like they have extra protection to prevent the stopper from going in. I use plastic BMB for 90% of what I do but If I'm making a big beer or cider then its only going in a traditional glass carboy.

Also I highly recommend a universal harness unless you are wrapping it in a brewjacket.

Edit: looked at the new product and I see what Rob is saying the new lid is like a giant bung, I can't speak to if its any good but I don't think I would purchase the new BMB if the FerMonster is like the old school BMBs I have. What stops that new lid from popping off under pressure?

Last edited:

Thanks

Um, what's wrong with a plastic bucket fermenter?:rockin: Really big mouth, smooth sides for easy cleaning, handle built in for carrying, half the price, stack when not in use.

Um, what's wrong with a plastic bucket fermenter?:rockin: Really big mouth, smooth sides for easy cleaning, handle built in for carrying, half the price, stack when not in use.

I have a bucket and a better bottle and I always prefer to use the bucket when it's available. It's so much easier to just dump the kettle in after chilling than to try to siphon or use a funnel to fill the carboy. I could see the big mouth carboys alleviating that somewhat, but not enough to match the bucket for convenience. The only advantage my carboy has is that it fits in one of my fermentation chambers better than the bucket. The bucket fits, but I had to screw a board into the floor of it to make it tilt toward the back. That caused a bit of a mess on my last batch when it overflowed during fermentation.

I have Better Bottles for fermentation. I find them very easy to clean. Soak in Oxyclean, rinse, insert a washcloth and a little water, swirl, rinse again and done. It is even easier than reaching into a bucket to wipe the insides. I drain my BK through the ball valve so no need to pour into a wide mouth. When filled you just insert a bung and blow off tube or airlock. No need for a mallet to make sure the top is on tight like it is with a bucket. The only down side is you can't stack them for storage.

Plastic for fermenters any day over glass carboys. They are too heavy and they are also dangerous.

I use BMB for fermentation, I don't understand how anyone thinks these are difficult to clean. The lids aren't great but it takes what, like 4 seconds to put a weight on the lid? They work fine for me.

I use BMB for fermentation, I don't understand how anyone thinks these are difficult to clean. The lids aren't great but it takes what, like 4 seconds to put a weight on the lid? They work fine for me.

I found that if you use scissors to trim off the top silicone rib off the universal lid that they stay on no problem.

I love the BMB so far -- I have the "new" lid, but I just reversed the direction of the silicone grip and it's never budged. I haven't needed any weights.

My only complaint is that since I brew high gravity beers, the spigot is usually too low for me to use (too much trub).

I guess another strike against it is that it's a AB Inbev product, considering its only sold through Midwest and Northern Brewer.

I use Big Mouth Bubblers but only for secondary fermentation, I do primary in buckets then rack to BMB's for secondary, I recently picked up the depth charge for dry hopping and it's worked wonders so far. The lids aren't the greatest but I've had no problem with them for secondary. I've heard of people having to tape them down for primary, I would LOVE to get the screw tops, I haven't been able to find them anywhere

I have two big mouth bubblers that I was able to get on sale (my brother got the other two) 4/$100.

I love them! Have all but retired my buckets and carboy since getting them. The lids take some getting used to but I have not had an issue with them as a primary. Also love the valve at the bottom when bottling, as I no longer need a racking cane or auto siphon anymore.

Next weekend I will bottle a pale ale and a Westy 12 clone, thereby freeing up both bubblers for duty!

Other than some lid issues, and that they're sold by AB... It's worth trying them

Thanks all

I "see" the fermentation has started with my nose. I can smell it pretty well.

I bought a glass carboy when I started making 5 gallon batches for the same reason. I couldn't stand the thought of not being able to see what was happening. That trend continued for a few brews, with the bucket only being used if the carboy was already full, but eventually the ease of use of the bucket won out over being able to see the fermentation. Now it's the opposite, with the carboy only being used when the bucket is already full.

Airlock activity and fermentation odors confirm that what I want to happen is happening. I really don't need anything else other than a gravity measurement after a predetermined amount of time.

I've got both BMBs and FerMonsters, and I definitely prefer the BMBs. I have spigots on both, but it's nearly impossible to install them on the FerMonsters as my forearm gets stuck in the neck. As for the lids on the BMBs, I've never had any problems.

I have two BMB with screw on lids. They work great. I love the ease of the valve and wide mouth for cleaning. Just use a soft sponge so not to scratch the plastic. I am worried that the sour beer I have in one of them now may have ruined it with wild yeast. Not sure how I'm going to sterilize it being plastic.

I have two BMB with screw on lids. They work great. I love the ease of the valve and wide mouth for cleaning. Just use a soft sponge so not to scratch the plastic. I am worried that the sour beer I have in one of them now may have ruined it with wild yeast. Not sure how I'm going to sterilize it being plastic.

I've brewed many sours in my plastic fermentors. Just clean completely and use a weak bleach solution to kill any nasties.

I've brewed many sours in my plastic fermentors. Just clean completely and use a weak bleach solution to kill any nasties.

+1 for the bleach. It also worked when I brewed a Brett beer but I boiled the spigot and associated hardware.

I bought a glass carboy when I started making 5 gallon batches for the same reason. I couldn't stand the thought of not being able to see what was happening. That trend continued for a few brews, with the bucket only being used if the carboy was already full, but eventually the ease of use of the bucket won out over being able to see the fermentation. Now it's the opposite, with the carboy only being used when the bucket is already full.

Airlock activity and fermentation odors confirm that what I want to happen is happening. I really don't need anything else other than a gravity measurement after a predetermined amount of time.

Many people want to see what is happening during fermentation. Putting a portion of the wort in a pint jar and adding just a little yeast will let you see fermentation. I know it won't be the same as what is going on in the big batch but it's so much safer with that pint size glass jar than a 6 gallon carboy.

I use a BMB with the old screw-on lid type as one of my primary fermenters. I also drilled and installed a spigot, which I positioned a little bit higher than the pre-drilled version so it's generally above the trub and dryhop level. I've never had any issue cleaning it, just soak it in hot water with a little PBW. Boom, clean.

I like it because I can see the contents inside, such as the trub level, if its too high I can dump some off before running it straight into the keg.

Has anyone used a sanitized muslin bag at the end on the tube to help filter any trub out of transfer? Will it be worth doing?

Thanks[/QUOT

Thanks
Love mine.
I use a BMB with the old screw-on lid type as one of my primary fermenters. I also drilled and installed a spigot, which I positioned a little bit higher than the pre-drilled version so it's generally above the trub and dryhop level. I've never had any issue cleaning it, just soak it in hot water with a little PBW. Boom, clean.

I like it because I can see the contents inside, such as the trub level, if its too high I can dump some off before running it straight into the keg.
Love mine. A 5 lb barbell weight on top of the universal lid works perfectly and allows room for the sir lock. Plastic is easy to clean, carry and no worries about breaking.

Back