Big mouth bubbler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarrynPeace

Reaction score
Anyone use one of these? I have now brewed three beers in mine and every time I find mold in the threading of the lid. I have not had any infections and after the first time I sanitize the hell out of the lid, but the mold still occurs. Is this happening to anyone else? Any ideas on causes or prevention? I have used both one step and star-san. Still get mold after two-three weeks.

I get a bit of mold too. I think it just comes with the territory. It seems that the seal is tight enough for it to not be an issue though. Might try rubbing alcohol on the thread before screwing down the top.

Maybe use some keg lube on the threads. Is that stuff anti-microbial?

I've been thinking about switching out my better bottles for these BMB. The big opening is nice, but I like that they are a little thinner/taller than the BBs.

edit: plastic BMBs; not glass :)

I have read hundreds of negative reviews on the BMB but it still intrigues me due to that large opening and the overall dimensions of which I could fit 2 into my chamber. I just cant pull the trigger due to all the negative comments I have read.

Thanks for the replies guys. It is a glass bubbler, and honestly I love it. I would not go back to a classic carboy. My only concern is the mold I mention. I may rub down the threads with Vodka or rubbing alcohol prior to sealing next time as has been suggested.

I have one of each, and I prefer glass. Plastic leaks like a sieve after fermentation is completed. No mold in either though.

I transfer to secondary for 'cellaring' or to keg for short beers.

Awesome for cleaning, not great for long term fermentation.

I have the plastic ones and love 'em but have never seen any mold on them anywhere. Maybe try spraying/wiping everything down with a bleach and water dilution to get rid of the mold and then spray over with a sanitizer. BTW is the mold noticed when you pull out the BMB from storage or after fermenting? I once used an old fridge for fermenting but water from the cooling coils condensation would collect at the bottom making the chamber really damp. I replaced the fridge and put in a dehumidifier (dessicant and a fan). Humidity is now really low (less than 40%) compared to what it used to be. A dark chamber and moisture are a good combination for growing mold.

I have not had an issue with mold with my plastic BMBs. I love mine. They're not as thick as a better bottle, but they do work. I always go to my two first before I even think of using a carboy

Back