BIG IRS recipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a big oaked bourbon IRS soon. I had a question for whoever cares to weigh in on two recipes I'm looking at. I probably will tweak them a bit anyways, but any thoughts on the following?

I saw this one (and haven't adjusted it yet through beersmith to fit with my 10g batch)
205.0 lb (75.9%) Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt; Thomas Fawcett
18.0 lb (6.7%) Munich TYPE I; Weyermann
14.0 lb (5.2%) Chocolate Malt; Simpsons
14.0 lb (5.2%) Roasted Barley; Briess
12.0 lb (4.4%) Caramel Malt 60L; Briess
7.0 lb (2.6%) Carafa Special® TYPE III; Weyermann
10.0 oz (33.3%) Magnum (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 75 min
4.0 oz (13.3%) Magnum (14.5%) - added during boil, boiled 75 min
8 oz (26.7%) Willamette (4.9%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
8 oz (26.7%) Willamette (4.9%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min

The other one I saw and tweaked a bit:
43lbs pale 2 row (might do 20ish lbs of pale and then sub in some DME or something so I don't have to do as much grains and easier to hit the gravity I want)
24lbs munich
3.5lb chocolate malt
4lbs roasted barley
2.75lb crystal 60L
1.25lb de-bittered black malt
4.5oz warrior @60 13.7%
3oz EKG 5.% at 15m
maybe a small EKG at 5m

I'm shooting for around a 12-14% beer. I want to try and hit something more along the lines of 1.025ish if I can but these are coming in around 1.030-1.040 as F.G. any suggestions on getting them lower while keeping the flavor profile? I will be using 007 English Dry Yeast from a previous APA yeast cake I am brewing Friday.

I'm using a 100qt cooler for the Mash Tun and will probably boil the wort for about 2-2.5 hours. I want a big mouthfeel but I don't want it super cloying either. probably mash around 156...

Any suggestions on these recipes and thoughts on the ingredients? The first recipe with the MO base, I would probably do a half/half of 2-row and MO as I am not a fan of all MO base usually.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

Much appreciated!

Just my opinion, but use the grains from the second, and the hops from the first, and I think you'll make a better beer. For an RIS, to me Magnum is the king hop.

When I go for a drier finish, I tend to add candi sugar, as I have found it gives that while not bringing much else other than increasing the gravity and possibly color if you get the amber or dark (I usually do clear). I have never made it more than 5% of my grain bill though.

Maybe its just me, but for all IRS issues I go to a licensed accountant...

But to get serious...if you want to dry out the beer, you need to reduce the amount of complex sugars that they yeast cant break down. I would consider dropping your mash temp by 5-10 deg.

You are having to trade off between mouth feel and dryness to a degree. The other option is to amp up the bittering hops a bit more to help compensate for the sweetness.

However for that second recipe...I am having a little trouble parsing the whole thing. Youve got 78.5 lbs of grain in a 10gal batch. Even at 60% efficiency, your still at a OG of 1.165 and FG of 1.045 and 20.26% ABV (using the Daniels formula, which works better for high alcohol beers since it accounts for alcohol having a lower SG than water).

Am I reading that right? 43lbs of 2-row and 24lbs of Munich?

I am not at home to check with my beertools software but on my phone i was messing around and at 60% it comes out to 14% on my ibrewmaster software... maybe it's off.
Will have to double check when I get home to be sure... but it does seem like it should be higher.
Maybe I can drop some of the complex sugars and replace with some brown sugar or something, maybe add some oats and mash at a lower temp so the oats will help create more mouthfeel and the lower mash temp will dry out the beer more.
Any thoughts on that?

But to get serious...if you want to dry out the beer, you need to reduce the amount of complex sugars that they yeast cant break down. I would consider dropping your mash temp by 5-10 deg.

It seems counter intuitive when making a RIS with a big mouthfeel to mash low but there will be plenty of leftover complex sugars for the mouthfeel. If you mash at 1.056 you're going to end up with a gooey mess in the end. I'd go around 148-150* for at least an hour if you're planning a 13% beer. If it somehow drops way to low you can always dump in some lactose or something at the end to sweeten it up a bit but once fermentation stops it's a B_____ to get it going again.

It seems counter intuitive when making a RIS with a big mouthfeel to mash low but there will be plenty of leftover complex sugars for the mouthfeel. If you mash at 1.056 you're going to end up with a gooey mess in the end. I'd go around 148-150* for at least an hour if you're planning a 13% beer. If it somehow drops way to low you can always dump in some lactose or something at the end to sweeten it up a bit but once fermentation stops it's a B_____ to get it going again.

Yes, big beers always mash super low, I mean even if you hit 1.020 which would be hard to do with say WLP007 starting at say 1.120 that is still plenty sweet, for me at least.

I have a barleywine going right now I am hoping bottoms out around the 1.020 mark with a starting OG of 1.116 but I used about 9% sugar and about 5% crystals and mashed really low

Latest posts

Back