Big Birthday Brew suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Pear

Reaction score
I was talking to one of my friends today and he suggested that I(we) should brew something for a few of our birthdays that are coming up. He generally likes darker beer and I thought it might be a good time to try something big and possible brew it this year and have it age a year and drink it on our next birthdays. I was kind of thinking a big RIS or something similar might be a good idea. Anyone have anything they've tried before or wanted to try?

My Robust Porter is a big beer and it ages very well. It comes in at over 7% abv, but does not have an alcohol bite. Check it out.

i did an 11.5% barleywine that's aging in the keg right now to drink on my 30th Bday on x-mas this year

fermented WAY drier than it should have (1.007) so will be a little thin but is very aggressively hopped and dry hopped so hopefully is still tasty

Ooo I have read up on the ole Revvy super Barleywine for your 50th, quite the endeavor!! Hmm I've always wanted to do a Bee Cave Brew, but I always thought I'd end up doing your Rye IPA or your House Pale first but perhaps it will be your robust porter!! I'll see what the other guys are feeling also, what ABV do you think would improve and hold up over a year? Or should I be looking at other factors then just ABV?

ABV do you think would improve and hold up over a year? Or should I be looking at other factors then just ABV?

My last batch came in right about 7% and I had it in a keg, refrigerated for over a year and it blew folks socks off at a homebrew club meeting at 16 months old.

I think the key is getting it off yeast, carbed, and refrigerated.

I have a Wounded Knee IPA thats from May of last year that still tastes great.

The BCB is a big enough beer to enjoy slowly and maybe have a second.

I did the Bee Cave Robust porter with 1oz oak cubes and 1 oz oak chips soaked in 4 oz bourbon for 1 week prior to adding post fermentation for 6 days. came out great!!

Back