Big beer Yeast question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrimsonYeti

Reaction score
I am planning a very high OG IPA for this weekend plan on using wyeast 1056. I have 2 smack packs. The OG is calculated at 1.110 . Ehat do i need to do to help make sure i don't starve the yeast.

It is very likely you will need to make a starter for this beer if it is a five gallon batch. The yeast may have lost enough viability since it was produced that two packs will be severely under pitching. You may need to delay the brewing until the next weekend. Here is a good pitch rate/starter calculator to put your numbers into.
http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php

Is this a 5 gallon batch?

Brewers Friend's pitching rate calculator says you'll definitely need a starter, even with two packs.

Aside from that, you'll need one and probably two doses of pure 02.

Yeah sorry it is 5 gallons. I may knock it down slightly but , it still will be around 1.090.

Not to derail, but would 2 packs of us-05 be sufficient for such a large brew? That would be (in theory) 600 billion cells, or would this approach the realm of over-pitching?

Yeah sorry it is 5 gallons. I may knock it down slightly but , it still will be around 1.090.

If you look at any of the pitch calculators you'll see that even at 1.090, 2 smackpacks by themselves are not enough yeast. Now here's a thought if you don't want to take another 4 days to do a big starter: Make two 1 liter starters with each of the smackpacks. Start them about 24 hours before you plan on brewing and then pitch both starters at high Kraesen. I've seen posts by Denny that are based on research done by a yeast expert(can't remember his name) that indicates that pitching when the yeast are most active will do you better than taking the time to build up a big starter. Good Luck! :mug:

if you have a local craft brewery they may give you as much yeast as you need for free. my local brewery, Drakes, is run by homebrewers so they don't mind taking a minute from their busy day to fill an Erlenmeyer flask for me.

Back