big beer: is it stuck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbspindel

Reaction score
i brewed a midas touch clone on the 16th december with an og of 1.081. its now only at 1.044. last week it was down to 1.050, so there hasn't been much fermentation in 7 days, imo. This is my first big beer. How long does it normally take for big beers to ferment to FG? Should i just keep waiting on it? Repitch? get yeast back into suspension? I imagine it will be done soon; if so, i'm left with syrup!

ingredients for 5 gal brew:
8lbs pale malt LME
2lbs clover honey
.5 oz simcoe hops
some saffron
wyeast ale yeast 1056 (one pack)
1 liter/1 quart muscat grape concentrate (added after fermentation had begun)

tks for the advice.

Did you make a starter? I would pitch another pack of yeast. Maybe even make a starter first. You should be able to get that well under 1.020.

What was your mash temp?

What is you average ferment temp?

How much yeast did you pitch?

Did you oxygenate? If so, how?

If the gravity is still decreasing its not "stuck".

i used liquid yeast, no starter. didnt think i had to. will next time though.

it was an extract w steeping grains.

fermenting at 60 constant. its on the low end of the yeast temp, which i know contributes to the delays, but i didnt think 3 weeks was right.

pitched one pack wyeast. i think there's 100 billion in there.

i oxygenated by rocking it for about 30 minutes.

i see that it's not stuck, yet. is it possible for this to ferment more than 3 weeks? is there a time span yeast will work, or will it just go until it is finished or hits the max abv it will tolerate? i'm not about to stop what it's doing, but if repitching will help, i might do that (this time with a starter, if advisable).

i used liquid yeast, no starter. didnt think i had to. will next time though.

it was an extract w steeping grains.

fermenting at 60 constant. its on the low end of the yeast temp, which i know contributes to the delays, but i didnt think 3 weeks was right.

pitched one pack wyeast. i think there's 100 billion in there.

i oxygenated by rocking it for about 30 minutes.

i see that it's not stuck, yet. is it possible for this to ferment more than 3 weeks? is there a time span yeast will work, or will it just go until it is finished or hits the max abv it will tolerate? i'm not about to stop what it's doing, but if repitching will help, i might do that (this time with a starter, if advisable).

Parameters

Low yeast count - 3 vial recommended (mrmalty.com)
Low O2 for the OG
3 weeks and still dropping

My $.02 - watch the gravity, and consider repitching w/ a larger volume. Or add another tube. I'm not a noob but not an "experienced" brewer - think I'm on my ~17th batch. YMMV.

In the future, starters and airstone+pump or oxy tank are awesome.

i've moved it from 60*F to ~65*F.

if i get more 1056, should i do a starter? should i aerate, or assume all the yeast will just be in anaerobic phase? just pour the yeast in, or pour and swirl around to mix it in best?

You could make a starter but I would probably just pitch another fresh pack. If the pack is not super fresh, then make a starter. If it were me I would pitch a packet or two of Safale 05. The cell counts are higher than Wyeast or White Labs and it is similar enough to 1056 that your beer will come out the same. Don't aerate at this point or you will get oxidation. Just dump in whatever you decide to add, it will mix adequately once fermentation restarts.

You could make a starter but I would probably just pitch another fresh pack. If the pack is not super fresh, then make a starter. If it were me I would pitch a packet or two of Safale 05. The cell counts are higher than Wyeast or White Labs and it is similar enough to 1056 that your beer will come out the same. Don't aerate at this point or you will get oxidation. Just dump in whatever you decide to add, it will mix adequately once fermentation restarts.

+1 to good advice. At this point just add some fresh yeast, RDWHAHB. It will help your beer dry out; they only other advice I have is to be patient.

thanks. i'll hit the LHBS tomorrow and put 2 pkgs safale us05 in there. More cell count compared to 1 pkg wyeast. and if you think it won't change the flavor much, you're the boss. i'll let yall know if it ever hits TG.

Back