Big American Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BreezyBrew

IPA is my spirit animal
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wanted some feedback on this recipe. By big, I mean as compared to the BJCP American Stout definition. The original was the Extra Foreign Stout in Gordon Strong's new book, but I wanted to Americanize it with the hops and yeast.

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs 2.3 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) 47.3 %
4 lbs 5.5 oz Maris Otter 25.2 %
1 lbs 10.0 oz Barley, Flaked 9.5 %
1 lbs 4.4 oz Roasted Barley 7.4 %
12.0 oz Caramel Malt 120L 4.4 %
9.1 oz Chocolate Malt 3.3 %
8.0 oz Caramel Malt 60L 2.9 %
1.75 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 46.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min 5.3 IBUs
2 L American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272)

For a more American stout I would skip the Maris Otter and use Pale Malt instead and use more hops.
FWIW my American stout recipe has 6 ounces hops for a 5.5 gallon batch.
Americans love their hops.

I would agree with sky4meplease, the specialty malts will give you the flavor you are after without the maris otter. Maybe cut flaked barley to a pound. What temp are you mashing at? Also, you can save the the centennial for later in the boil and use a higher alpha acid bittering hop if you have some on hand. I did a whiskey rye stout with Warrior for bittering, it turned out just fine.

The last time I brewed mine I mashed at 153 and it was a little light in body. I think next time I will raise to 154.
Let us know how it turns out.

You bet. I seem to have to mash lower than most to get full attenuation, so that's why I was shooting for 152. This mash is thick even at 1.5 qt/lb.

Back