Bibimbap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We've been making bibimbap almost weekly lately. The goal was to try to get me to eat more (some) eggs. I don't have kimchee ready yet, but I do have homemade gochujang and used that for the base of my bibimbap sauce. Two of the dishes were made with wild rice, and two were with venison (one was lamb), so they are definitely NOT authentic Korean dishes. We're calling them "UP Bibimbap" or "Northwoods Bibimbap".

The last two times, I used some sauerkraut since we don't have kimchee. It's been turning out really well, and we're making them different each time.

The main ingredients have been garlic, shallot, and onion and assorted veggies but sometimes I use ginger. We love to take leftover meat and just char it in the grill basket on the gas grill.

I still don't like eggs very much, but this is one way to get me to eat them!

IMG_7406[1].jpg

IMG_7393[1].jpg

IMG_7359[1].jpg

Not liking eggs is sacrilege.

Would like to see your gochujang tho'.

I have two I like- the long fermented and the "quick". Quick in gochujang timeline, not my own!

I'll see if I can find a link where I got most of it- it's easier to read and better than my chicken scratch!

I have two I like- the long fermented and the "quick". Quick in gochujang timeline, not my own!

I'll see if I can find a link where I got most of it- it's easier to read and better than my chicken scratch!

I've only recently become a fan of the gochujang. Heard about it while watching Cooks Country on Korean hot wings. Have always had Sriracha, Sambal, and Sambal Olek as staples but had never had Gochujang.

Bought some from the asian market and was impressed by the extra dimensions.

If I could find Maggi Sos Cili locally, or make a copy myself I'd abandon Ketchup. Mmmmm. That stuff is a perfect blend of heat and sweet! Prolly too sweet for your taste tho'.

I'd be interested in trying it. Looks great.

However, I love eggs. I've cut back due to cholesterol, but still try to get 2 each morning on the weekends. They go great with beans and rice!

I'd be interested in trying it. Looks great.

However, I love eggs. I've cut back due to cholesterol, but still try to get 2 each morning on the weekends. They go great with beans and rice!

Love eggs. I have to regulate myself sometimes on the weekend so I understand or I'll end up rating 6 a day.

I wonder if cooking in cast iron might mimic the stone bowl. The scorched rice adds so much to the dish.

Only way to know is to try. Cooking in my cast iron is my favorite way to get that crispyness that bibimbop gives the rice.

wow! that looks phenomenol! my wife and i live near a lot of korean restaurants and love going out for bibimbap, bulgogi and kalbi. a place nearby used to make a super spicy bulgogi fries ( a lot like how mexican restaurants nearby serve carne asada fries). it was fantastic, but unfortunately the restaurant eventually went under new management and got a new menu...:(

Whenever I do something like this I either use cast iron, or get a wok screaming-hot (I've thought about putting it on a grill, but have yet to do so). The "crunchy bits" really are the best part.

Also if you don't like eggs I'd recommend poaching them instead of frying. It might not be traditional, but then it ends up being more of a sauce.

Whenever I do something like this I either use cast iron, or get a wok screaming-hot (I've thought about putting it on a grill, but have yet to do so). The "crunchy bits" really are the best part.

Also if you don't like eggs I'd recommend poaching them instead of frying. It might not be traditional, but then it ends up being more of a sauce.

Good idea about the poaching- although since it's mixed up with the rest, I can sort of pretend it's not there. Bob really likes the look of the sunny side up egg on top, and I can tolerate it well enough.

For Bob's birthday, I've ordered a set of dolsot(s?). One medium (for me) and one large (for him), and I'm sure that will make the prep easier. I'm using one cast iron comal for the rice, adding it to the bowl, and then using a wok for the veggies, and a different cast iron for the eggs. So it's a minimum of three pots for this "one dish meal", :D

Bob's stone dishes came, and so I made dolsot bibimbap tonight.

I made (I think) 12 things for the top. The meat was grilled and lightly charred fresh side pork. I used kimchee and gochujang (both homemade) as well as all of the things shown here.

The rice came out perfectly- crispy and browned but not burnt, and it was probably my favorite bibimbap ever. I can't wait for the garden, to have fresh garden greens and produce.

IMG_7451[1].jpg

IMG_7454[1].jpg

IMG_7457[1].jpg

IMG_7462[2].jpg

IMG_7461[1].jpg

Looks like some authentic bibimbap! My wife and I lived in Korea for a bit, and the sizzling stone bowls made the rice so delicious. Glad to see you got some!

I love Bibimbap. I was stationed on the border of North and South Korea (the DMZ) in 1997-1998 and fell in love with their food! Most especially Bibimbap! You have made me very very hungry Yooper!

Did you have a recipe for your Kimchee? Please share! Thanks

We're making bibimbap all the time now. With the garden in full swing, we always have something different in it.

Here's a photo of the last time (a few days ago):
bibimbapaug12.JPG

As far as kimchee goes, I make my own gochujang, so I use that in my bibimbap sauce and also in my kimchee. I don't really have a recipe for kimchee, but this website was my inspiration: https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/easy-kimchi

Maangchi's recipes for Mak Kimchi and Emergency Kimchi are both good. I use a lot less fish sauce though and preferably higher quality fish sauce than 3 Crabs. Her kkakdugi recipe is excellent also with some Asian pear puree in the "paste".

I dont make my own gochujang but this year i did start growing my own gochu for sun dried pepper powder. Im only growing 2 plants as a test to see if its the right heat level for kimchi ect. Green they have been pretty zippy so i may have to try seeds from Kitazawa instead. Korean grown/manufactured gochugaru is crazy expensive and most of cheaper stuff comes from China with salt added. The last bag of real Korean gochugaru i bought was over $16/lb vs about $8 for around 3lbs of Chinese grown.

Its rather amusing, i didnt care for most of the Korean dishes when i lived in Osan but i was also very young. Bulgogi and chappchae were about the only things i liked.

Now i adore kimchi jjiggae and kimchi fried rice. Personally i think mine is better than most Korean restaurants.
cHt5hkY.jpg

Been meaning to make bibimbap for a while since I'd seen it made on a tv cooking show on pbs.

I made a different Korean dish, bulgogi. Well, kinda bulgogi - more like the flavors of bulgogi ... I used the marinade on a roast and then korean barbecue sauce on the rotisserie ... was so good!. I didn't actually quite get the correct ingredients ... the korean pear ("asian apple") etc.
Definitely intending to make it again.
It's also a good all purpose exclamation "bullgogi !"
I need to make the dish, proper, sometime too.

Back