BIAB technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubleAught

Reaction score
I have a question for you experienced BIAB brewers. I use the no sparge BIAB technique stickied here in the forums. I'm not doing a very good job maintaining my mash temps. Todays brew had a mash temp of 156 degrees. I got my water up to about 162 before adding the grain thinking it would drop it to about where I would need it. Well it didn't, it stayed right around 162 for a 15 mins or so, then before I knew it, it was around 152. I put up a low flame to gradually heat the water and of course it went back to 160 in no time. My mashout temp was 168 for 10 mins. I over shot that one too. I heated to 168, shut off the flame, and it kept rising up until about 175.

This was my 4th BIAB batch and each time I'm getting better and learning from mistakes made on previous batches. This is the only thing I'm having trouble with now.

What do you experienced BIAB brewers do to maintain a good mash temp? Thanks!

I babysit it pull off the burner turn up down, i have electric glasstop, its somewhat a pain,but not a big deal for me. You can set your oven to (160 I think-it might be 150)then turn off the heat and put your pot in it for an hour. Or wrapp it in blankets some fleece a good sleeping bag or something.

I babysit it pull off the burner turn up down, i have electric glasstop, its somewhat a pain,but not a big deal for me. You can set your oven to (160 I think-it might be 150)then turn off the heat and put your pot in it for an hour. Or wrapp it in blankets some fleece a good sleeping bag or something.

Thanks! I used that technique as well when doing partial boils, it works great. The boil I had today was 7.5 gallons and it seems that about the time I have the temp right it gets too high, and doesn't drop very fast once it's too hot.

I keep my temp probe in the grain, I wonder if I keep it in the water if it will measure better.

I stir a lot after mashing in to reduce any temperature stratification that is typical with such a large volume in the kettle. I don't heat to strike temp and instead I mash in 5-degrees below my target mash temperature. After mashing in, I'll continue heating until I'm again 5-degrees shy of my target mash temp. I cut the heat, cover it, and let it sit for about 5-mins. Then I take another reading and often I'm right at my desired mash temp. The mash temperature will keep rising even after you kill the heat. If this doesn't bring me to my target mash temp, I'll heat it for another minute or two then repeat this process of cutting the heat and giving it some time to evenly distribute the heat throughout the mash.

Maintaining good mash temps is probably the trickiest part of the entire process. Everyone's equipment is different and it definitely takes practice with your gear to be able to get it right. The above is what works for me.

I slowly add the grains and stir it really well. I have a water heater blanket that I bungee cord to the pot. I put a blanket over the top, only lost a degree in 60 minutes yesterday

I stir a lot after mashing in to reduce any temperature stratification that is typical with such a large volume in the kettle. I don't heat to strike temp and instead I mash in 5-degrees below my target mash temperature. After mashing in, I'll continue heating until I'm 5-degrees shy of my target mash temp. I cut the heat, cover it, and let it sit for about 5-mins. Then I take another reading and often I'm right at my desired mash temp. The mash temperature will keep rising even after you kill the heat. If this doesn't bring me to my target mash temp, I'll heat it for another minute or two then repeat this process of cutting the heat and giving it some time to evenly distribute the heat throughout the mash.

Maintaining good mash temps is probably the trickiest part of the entire process. Everyone's equipment is different and it definitely takes practice with your gear to be able to get it right. The above is what works for me.

Thanks Seven! I'll give that technique a try. Mine definitely isn't working.

Back