BIAB Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not yet. Like I said, I'm still new. I'm adding this in my "to try" list :D

When you do test for conversion, be careful about cutting your mash too short. It takes time to extract color and flavor too and if you mash too short you get flavorless beer. I do not recommend less than 30 minutes.

Without a laboratory handy, I don't believe that most of us can really tell when "conversion is complete." If you're talking about the iodine test being negative, that's one thing. There are some sugars in there that need to be degraded that nobody seems to either know about or want to talk about. I haven't stopped a mash at 60 min. for probably 15 years. If you want a balanced beer, you need to start with a balanced wort. Of course, watch your temps. but run that mash for at least 2 hours. Magically, you'll see your efficiency go up! Try to keep in mind that it isn't squeezing every morsel of sugar out of that grain to save yourself money, the idea is to take control of your brewhouse.

I do small batches, 2.5 gallons usually. For me, a blender makes grain into flour pretty quickly. I might not recommend for bigger batches though.

My mashes are usually all day while I'm at work. I have a temp controller and recirc pump going all day. I assume I'm at or very near 100% conversion when I get home to drain the bag. So my only issue is bag drain/lauter efficiency.

My mill is set pretty tight and I usually run the grain thru twice. It's crushed good but not pure flour...

My mashes are usually all day while I'm at work. I have a temp controller and recirc pump going all day. I assume I'm at or very near 100% conversion when I get home to drain the bag. So my only issue is bag drain/lauter efficiency.

My mill is set pretty tight and I usually run the grain thru twice. It's crushed good but not pure flour...
Lauter efficiency is easily predictable if you know your grain absorption rate. Calculate the grain absorption rate as:
Rate = (Strike Volume - BK Volume) / Grain Weight​
For best accuracy, volumes should be corrected to a standard temp (e.g. 68°F/20°C.)

Chart for lauter efficiency is in post #21 of this thread.

Brew on :mug:

My two latest brewing interests are small batches, and low gravity beers. I love the flavor of rye, have heard that it adds lots of body, and is great in low alcohol beers. Might be a thought to try in one batch. I use 7 mm grill grates to squeeze my bag, get lots of wort out of it, I have never really noticed any greater tannin extraction. I set my mill at 0.3.

Back