BIAB efficiency question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marlowefire

Reaction score
So I have done a few BIAB and I was wondering how to calculate total efficiency for my brew house on beersmith. I routine boil down to 5.5 gallons but I only transfer 5 to the fermenter.

should I enter 5.5 gal to calculate my efficiency or should I use 5 gals? I would think 5.5 since that takes into account all the potential wort I made. If hats the case I'm getting 77-80% efficiency easily. Otherwise it's 72%. Just wondering how others calculate so I know if I'm doing it wrong or misrepresenting my efficiency.

This is post boil pre fermentation.

So you throw out a 1/2 gallon of wort every brewday? Why not just start with less grain and less starting volume and save some $$$?

Anyway, you would enter the 5 gallon amount, but you additionally have to additionally take a pre-fermentation gravity reading, accounting for temperature if you do the reading before cooldown. If you put the post-boil wort volume (what you are putting in the fermenter in your case) and OG into BeerSmith, then it will auto update your efficiency. Here's another caluclator if you want to compare the two to make sure you are doing it correctly:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/brewhouse-efficiency/

TopherM said:
You have to additionally take a pre-fermentation gravity reading, accounting for temperature if you do the reading before cooldown. If you put the post-boil wort volume and OG into BeerSmith, then it will auto update your efficiency. Here's another caluclator if you want to compare the two:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/brewhouse-efficiency/

In beersmith it doesn't seem to care what the preboil is but does care about post boil for total efficiency. I know how that works but that wasn't my question.

Basically should I use 5.5 gals or 5 gals as my measure of wort. I don't know if people here take into account te wort left behind when doing their calculations so I wasn't sure if I should take it into account as well.

Why dont you use the other 1/2 gallon in your fermenter? Accounting for the yeast cake this would give you five gallons in the bottle or keg. YES you need to use 5.5 in your calculator.

gunner65 said:
Why dont you use the other 1/2 gallon in your fermenter? Accounting for the yeast cake this would give you five gallons in the bottle or keg. YES you need to use 5.5 in your calculator.

Thanks! I don't put all 5.5 because I don't want to hook up a blow off tube. But I got some fermcap so the next batch I'm going to throw it all in. That makes me feel good about my efficiencies as well

Marlowefire said:
Thanks! I don't put all 5.5 because I don't want to hook up a blow off tube. But I got some fermcap so the next batch I'm going to throw it all in. That makes me feel good about my efficiencies as well

Gotcha.

Back