Biab Cloudy Beer Considerations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This sounds like a really kick azz brew process. It's nice to read and consider. I need a better pipeline so I can dial in better.

Well, it is out of necessity since I can only really afford to spend the time on brewing--scratch that-- manipulation of home brew and/or brewing-- about every second to third weekend. Get a pipeline started. I actually have the opposite problem of having too much on hand since I'm the only one drinking it (except for club events).

But being patient really works well for flavor and clarity....

It's a shame there isn't a search function for things like fining methods. It would be such a useful feature.

^^That is what I was alluding to earlier. Does it get better? At what point does it tip, in other direction?

One month it will definitely be better and more clear. Two or 3 months and it should be brilliant and very crisp. Only reason it will go in the other direction is if it has been oxidized. I am definitely guilty of drinking my lagers too soon but i do it more as a progressive meter to see the difference in tastes/clarity. I am still looking into filtering to speed up the process.

I would like to hear more about this device.

If is a half pint mason jar (a freezer storage "jelly" one for higher break resistance, small "normal" size lid).. I use 1/4" female flare to female flare with a Grolsch gasket on each and a flare nut on the inside of the mason jar lid to seal (well enough). I hook gas to one with my extra valve on the keezer and a gas connector on the other. The side with the gas connector has a small piece of 0.170" ID LDPE line on it, heat formed (melted) to seal with the flare nut to make a dip tube. I do wear leather gloves in case there is a break with the pressure when holding it (or I place it way out of the way), but the negative pressure during canning is more than 8-12 PSI. If yours blows up, don't say I didn't warn you, though.

I boil the water in the jar in the microwave (sanitize and O2 elimination), and let cool back down to 150F. then I add about 2x as much gelatin as I used to, let bloom (hot, it still works) and seal the jar. I hook up and pressurize. On my ball lock lids, I pull the PRV to get 1/2 of the liquid to go into the keg. On the pin locks, I pull a little beer from the tap. I dump the other half of the liquid. Gelatin is cheap enough it doesn't matter.

I swirl the keg around a little and 48 hours later it's clear. Make sure the keg cold crashed for 48 hours (and is at least at serving temp) before adding the gelatin.

Pretty simple. Cheers.

So I'm bumping this thread a little. The beer has substantially cleared at this point. I want to say it's better but fear it tastes the exact same and my perception has changed.

Back