BG-14 High Pressure converted to Low Pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeek

Reaction score
This is just and FYI for those that are wondering what the flame height is like on a high pressure Banjo Burner that has been converted to Low Pressure. (11 inch water column) This is at wide open throttle. A few pictures and a short video . It's nice and quiet. :rockin:

IMG_1595.JPG

IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1597.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What size orifice are you using?

The BURNVALVELPG that brewershardware sells (tried to link to it but can't get it to work). Takes the guessing out of drilling it to the correct size and for 7$ , well worth it.

Having the valve on it makes it nice should you want to adjust it. My 2 foot propane hose I ordered from you arrive the other day. Nice, Thanks

Zeek

BURNVALVE.jpg

How much did he charge for shipping?

Do you have a comparison picture that shows the burner on 11" of Water? I tried hooking up to the house propane and only got a flame that was quarter inch high. Can you post a picture of the two different orifices together?

How much did he charge for shipping?

Do you have a comparison picture that shows the burner on 11" of Water? I tried hooking up to the house propane and only got a flame that was quarter inch high. Can you post a picture of the two different orifices together?

Shipping was $5.85. The pictures are of it on 11" water column. (low pressure)

I have not hooked it to High pressure as I will not be using it that way.

It is important you have the correct orifice size.

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1601.jpg

Have you done any tests to see how long it will take a low pressure BG-14 to bring 10 gallons of water to a boil. On other threads there has been talk of a significant loss of btu's with an increased boil time. I was going to solve this by leaving my boil burner on high pressure and just having two low pressure regulators just before my Honeywell valves. It's not that big of a deal to use an extra low pressure regulator but $10 here and $10 there starts to add up.

I have not done boil time tests as yet. I am still building my stand. I just test fired the burner to get an idea of how high a flame it will make. There was not alot of information about flame height out there so I thought I would share my results. With a keggle on that size flame I can imagine that there will be flames coming out from under it and going up the sides. I can just about imagine that it would be much worse with the burner on high pressure unless it is setup so the flame is short and noisy like a blow torch.

When I was using my burner for the first time, I could see where people would complain about the noise when you turn up the gas flow. But I found that the noise of the burn only got loud when the gas pressure started to push the flame off the burner nozzles. Which I think doesnt really add to the amount of heat that comes out of the burner. I'm going to have to record this the next time I brew.

Have you had a chance to do any boil time tests yet? I have the same setup and I just did my first test - 80 minutes to take 11.25 gallons of water from 65 to boil. Ambient temp was around 70. I think I still have a problem - my flame is about 2/3 the size of yours. Where did you get the regulator and what kind of btus does it put out? It looks like that might be my problem.

ziggy13 said:
Forgive the noob question but what is an 11" water column?

11" water column is the standard pressure measurement for low pressure propane. It equates to approx .5 psi. And is measured with a water monometer.

Have you had a chance to do any boil time tests yet? I have the same setup and I just did my first test - 80 minutes to take 11.25 gallons of water from 65 to boil. Ambient temp was around 70. I think I still have a problem - my flame is about 2/3 the size of yours. Where did you get the regulator and what kind of btus does it put out? It looks like that might be my problem.

I have done 3 boil tests to date. the best is as follows.
7 gallons of water at 47° heated to boiling 212° took 37 minutes. The distance from the top of the burner to the bottom of the keggle (the bottom of the rounded part) is 3 inches. The biggest issue I found is that you need to give the exhaust gasses a place to easily escape from. I used 3/8 in spacers under the edge of where the keggle sits on the stand otherwise you do not get a good burn and the BTU's are not as high.
I picked up the duel stage regulator at a RV store down the road from me. I don't know how important having a duel stage regulator is. I would not think it would make that much difference from a single stage. It is just suppose to be a more constant outflow pressure.

IMG_1666.jpg

I'm not sure if I post it at the right place, but it seems rather adequate... Since it's a copy/paste of a question I posted elsewhere it might be strangely worded... Bear with me...

We are finishing a Herms system and it seems our gas line is having trouble giving us a solid blue flame. Most of the time we can only get a lazy orange flame. From what we see the problem might be that there isn't enough air getting in but people with similar burners/valves/PID's etc don't have the same problem. The only place where our system differs would be before the gas reaches the valves. We have a way to big flexible hose (IMO) and a very weird regulator that should to the trick on paper but I'm not so sure in reality. Those two were either sold or recommended by people working in the house heating industry. They know they're stuff around gas system and BTU and everything, but they never apply their knowledge to beer brewing so maybe that's the problem.

Here is pictures of our system where there is a problem.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/album.php?albumid=2507

I Know there might be some info missing, like the model of the 2 stage regulator, I don't have the info at work, I'll update you with the info later or if you need to know something just ask.

I really don't want to bother you, any kind of answer you be very helpful, even just a few quick tips.

Thank you very much

Here are the pics seperately if the album link doesn't work...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/member...ting-we-drilled-hole-bit-little-under-1-8.jpg

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/member...eywell-connected-our-honeywell-y8610u6006.jpg

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/member...eywell-connected-our-honeywell-y8610u6006.jpg

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/member...ng-11wc-ill-update-info-model-numer-later.jpg

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/member...ecting-problem-12-ft-long-whooping-3-4-id.jpg

We are finishing a Herms system and it seems our gas line is having trouble giving us a solid blue flame. Most of the time we can only get a lazy orange flame. From what we see the problem might be that there isn't enough air getting in but people with similar burners/valves/PID's etc don't have the same problem. The only place where our system differs would be before the gas reaches the valves. We have a way to big flexible hose (IMO) and a very weird regulator that should to the trick on paper but I'm not so sure in reality. Those two were either sold or recommended by people working in the house heating industry. They know they're stuff around gas system and BTU and everything, but they never apply their knowledge to beer brewing so maybe that's the problem.

Here is pictures of our system where there is a problem.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/album.php?albumid=2507

I don't know anything about that regulator. In the caption under the picture with the gas jet that screws into the burner you mention you drilled it out to just under 1/8inch. Those gas jet were already the proper size for low pressure (11 in. water column) If you drilled them out, they are now to big.

I don't see a gas shutter on the burner. The flex pipe is large but shouldn't matter. +1 to Zeek about orifice size between .070 and .080" should be about right. At 1/8" you are at .125".

Yeah, you really need a shutter for these burners. I run mine somewhere between 1/2 to about 3/4 open for the best flame.
Also, I bored out my original orifices to 3/32" and they work great. If yours is too big, you can close it up again with a bit of solder and re-drill that to the correct size.

Just ordered 3 of these and they are high pressure with the 3/8" orifice

I also may buy the burner screens from brewers hardware, but is the orifice and reg they sell all I'll need to plumb these up? Love how quiet they are.

Latest posts

Back