Beverage cooling at defcon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every time I've seen that contest mentioned, I can't help but think that we homebrewers could do a better job than a lot of what they have there...

I mean, a 10-20 foot CFC with recirculated ice water would chill beer as fast as you could pour it, no problem... And judging by the looks of past entries, it would probably blow most (if not all) of them away.

It would be cool to participate, but I don't see myself going to defcon anytime soon...

+1 for a jockey box. doesn't get any better. Unless your keg is boiling then use a CFC with a prechiller ice bath. Either way i don't think the hackers could beat the homebrewtalk community. Not at our game, anyways!!

I was thinking Jockey box that is gravity fed would do the job. You'd need to mess with salt/ice and the tubing length, but I imagine that a cooler with a vertical coil submerged in ice/water would do the trick with a little engineering.

It raises another question. The warm beer has all of that CO2 it it's headspace. Cooling it'll allow the CO2 to dissolve back into solution. I wonder if rapidly cooling it will cause it to come out flat. just a thought. Perhaps, as it cools, inject CO2 back into the beer to give it a nice head.

Back